Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dotan Cohen <do...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/08 08:21:29 UTC

Understanding the Solr Admin page

I am expanding my Solr skills and would like to understand the Admin
page better. I understand that understanding Java memory management
and Java memory options will help me, and I am reading and
experimenting on that front, but if there are any concise resources
that are especially pertinent to Solr I would love to know about them.
Everything that I've found is either a "do this" one-liner or expects
Java experience which I don't have and don't know what I need to
learn.

I notice that some of the Args presented are in black text, and others
in grey. Why are  they presented differently? Where would I have found
this information in the fine manual?

When I start Solr with nohup, the resulting nohup.out file is _huge_.
How might I start Solr such that INFO is not output, but only WARNINGs
and SEVEREs are. In particular, I'd rather not log every query, even
the invalid queries which also log as SEVERE. I thought that this
would be easy to Google for, but it is not! If there is a concise
document that examines this issue, I would love to know where on the
wild wild web it exists.

Thank you.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Re: Understanding the Solr Admin page

Posted by Stefan Matheis <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dotan

On Monday, April 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I notice that some of the Args presented are in black text, and others
> in grey. Why are they presented differently? Where would I have found
> this information in the fine manual?

iirc there is one ticket open which is related to this. initially that was not meant to highlight specific values .. just a simple even/odd style to make it easier to read the different lines - at least that is what i thought it would be. looks like you're the second one being confused by them, so we'll take it out i'd say?

On Monday, April 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> When I start Solr with nohup, the resulting nohup.out file is _huge_.
> How might I start Solr such that INFO is not output, but only WARNINGs
> and SEVEREs are. In particular, I'd rather not log every query, even
> the invalid queries which also log as SEVERE.

Since you're not telling us, how you get it started .. it's just a guess :) For starters: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/LoggingInDefaultJettySetup otherwise, the more advanced one: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging

HTH
Stefan