Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID> on 2022/08/01 15:43:08 UTC

Replace conda with mamba in docs?

Hello Everyone,

in ARROW-17224 [1] the painfully slow solve times of conda (while
installing arrow) were surfaced. The only solution seems to be to use mamba
(or wait until the mamba solver is integrated in conda...).

As waiting for a very long time is pretty bad U/DX should we recommend
mamba in the docs?

Best,
Jacob

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-17224

Re: Replace conda with mamba in docs?

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
I would hope conda get their act together and improve on this.

I have mixed feelings about complicating the documentation with
explanations of how mamba is (often? usually?) a better replacement to
conda. Generally we should focus on Arrow-specific issues and avoid
distracting the user with unrelated details.

Regards

Antoine.