Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/04/04 22:11:17 UTC

Update JavaMojoDescriptorExtractor to make it more re-use friendly

Hi folks, I've been looking into getting Mojo descriptor generation
working for the groovy-maven-plugin for the past few days... and I've
finally got something that is working well.

I went through a few iterations, and finally came to the conclusion
that it would be simplest to parse the *.groovy sources, collect the
javadoc blocks, generate a uber-minimal Java source, parse that
source with QDox and then delegate the rest of the work to the
JavaMojoDescriptorExtractor.

By doing this, it means that the Groovy descriptor tag handling is in
sync with the Java descriptor bits.

BUT... to make this work, JavaMojoDescriptorExtractor needs a few
minor changes, mostly to change a few access modifiers from private
to protected... and also to replace the JavaSource usage with
JavaClass.  The later is minor, but the extractor isn't really using
the JavaSource, it always gets the JavaClass, but it still passes
around the JavaSource for no good reason.

Anyways, I'm wondering if this is something that we could change?
Right now I've duplicated the JavaMojoDescriptorExtractor into my
mojo's project and made the modifications so that I can test/
verify... but I'd really like to get these changes committed to the
maven-plugin-tools-java module directly.  The changes are of course
compatible with the current usage.

Which JIRA project should I create an issue for this and attach my
patch?

Thanks,

--jason

Re: Update JavaMojoDescriptorExtractor to make it more re-use friendly

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Thanks for looking at this.  Hopefully someone can validate and merge
the changes (if you use svk2 then its a painless merge) :-)

--jason