Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Siva <si...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/09 07:43:30 UTC

tutorials for RESTful service CFX

Dear all,

                I’m comfortable with java(I work in .Net) but I’m new to
Apache CXF. I’m looking at developing RESTful services in CFX and expose it
over https. Can you point me to some basic tutorials on developing a RESTful
service from scratch in CFX and expose it over https? Thanks in advance.

--
Siva

Re: tutorials for RESTful service CFX

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Please check the jaxrs/https demo in the CXF distribution, it's a
basic demo which also shows how to configure HTTPS.
Also see [1] and [2] for more info.

The recommended approach to develop RESTFul services in CXF is to use
JAX-RS [2]. Here is a basic approach which you can follow:

1. Create a root resource class which is top-level handler for a
specific application URI sub-space, example:
@Path("store")
public class BookStore {
    private Map<Integer, Book> books = new HashMap<Integer, Book>();

    @GET
    @Path("{id}")
    @Produces("application/xml")
    public Book getBook(@PathParam("id") Integer bookId) {
         return books.get(bookId);
    }

    @POST
    @Consumes("application/xml")
    public Response addBook(Book book) {
         books.put(book.getid(), book);
         return Response.status(201).build();
    }
}

Check [2] on how to register this resource, example :
<jaxrs:server serviceClass="org.foo.BookStore" address="/"/>

Suppose you have created a books.war and deployed into a container
listening on localhost:8080.

The BookStore endpoint will handle the request URIs starting from
http://localhost:8080/books/store.
More specifically:

1. GET http://localhost:8080/books/store/1
will be handled by the getBook() method with '1' being mapped to its
bookId parameter. Assuming Book is a JAXB bean, JAXB will serialize
it.

2. POST http://localhost:8080/books/store/

will be handled by the addBook(Book) method.

Hope this little micro-tutorial will help you to get started :-).
You might also want to consider checking out the growing collection of
JAX-RS demos at [3]

Cheers, Sergey

[1] http://cxf.apache.org/docs/client-http-transport-including-ssl-support.html
[2] http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs.html