Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/03 23:11:39 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Hi All,

I'd propose we start a new component called "Apache Commons JUnit".

The goal would be to gather useful and reusable code like JUnit rules.

This component would be focused on JUnit 4.x only.

For example: org.apache.commons.collections4.junit.SetDefaultLocaleTestRule

I have other rules stashed here and there as well, for example a Set
Default Charset Rule.

Thoughts?

Gary

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
[PROPOSAL REDUX]

Component Name: Apache Commons Testing

A multi-module project focused on providing code for testing applications
using various testing frameworks with an initial focus on JUnit 4.

Modules:

commons-testing: no dependencies, contains code like to list all non-daemon
threads after a test run (to see there is no resource leak) can be used
independent of the Unit Test Framework (as proposed by Oliver Heger.)

commons-testing-junit4: Depends on JUnit 4.12 only and provides code based
on JUnit 4 like JUnit "Rule"s.

SCM: Git.

Cut a 1.0-alpha1 from the above.

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 5:35 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/11/17 23:11, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'd propose we start a new component called "Apache Commons JUnit".
>
> -1 on the name. It is infringing.
>
> "Apache Commons Tools for JUnit" would be fine. As would any similar
> construction.

OK, I'm not a fan of "tools", which for me would be command-line things;
how about"

- "Apache Commons for JUnit"
- "Apache Commons Add-ons for JUnit"
- "Apache Commons Extras for JUnit"
- ?

Gary

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

AW: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
+1.
But when we want to support JUnit4, JUnit5 and AssertJ maybe we could call that "Apache Commons Test" with three components.

Jan

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Looks like a good idea but wonder if it fits commons. I kind of see a lot
> of modules already so maybe incubator?
>
> Ps: if interesting I m happy to give
> https://github.com/rmannibucau/rule-them-all and help integrating it with
> junit5 too

Thank you for pointing out your work.

I think we are going toward are multi-module project if only to manage
dependencies. I would not want to depend on commons-testing only to have a
ton of jars dragged in, optional or not. But I could see bringing in
commons-testing-ftp-server.

Gary

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1. Seems like a good plan.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: [PROPOSAL][test] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@Mark: this is already not the case and users are used to gather them
putside Junit. Also it is pby as true as saying it would be easier to push
commons in openjdk directly no?

I see a lot of values to have a uniform backbone - rule API - and making it
easy to reuse accross test stacks so commons testing really makes sense for
me on the long term even if v1 target junit 4 only.

Le 5 nov. 2017 21:21, "Mark Fortner" <ph...@gmail.com> a écrit :

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be easier (and more intuitive) for users
of JUnit to find a collection of JUnit-related tools on the JUnit project
site?

Regards,

Mark

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Am Sun, 05 Nov 2017 08:43:06 -0700 schrieb Gary Gregory:

> It sounds like we all like the idea of this new component. I'll create
> the git repo tonight or by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Hehe, it seems this idea pops up every decade ...

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/dormant/test/

That TLP never got anywhere though.

- Jörg

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

I would try to stick with a single artifact with optional dependencies to the Frameworks supported. If the Project becomes too specific/cumbersome in Terms of dependencies we might turn it into a Multi module build with a common and Framework specific part.

But my comment was more about the Name and the Mission and less about the maven structure.

Gruss
Bernd

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+ commons-testing-testng probably

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

On 04.11.2017 17:58, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> I like the idea (and prefer Commons Testing), for example a method to list all non-daemon threads after a test run (to see there is no resource leak) can be used independent of the Unit Test Framework.

We already had a Commons Test project. It has been moved to dormant, but
is not explicitly listed: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/dormant/test/

I also like the idea and would prefer a broader scope with
general-purpose utilities for unit tests.

Oliver

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 for a name like Commons Testing

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by kenneth mcfarland <ke...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a logical category of reusable components. I'm a lurker but I
think that is a very very cool idea!

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
I don't know if this fits but I have junit-contract-testing (
https://github.com/Claudenw/junit-contracts) that I would like to
contribute.

It is an extension that performs contract tests for java interface
implementations.

Cluade

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
I still have some code lying around in this area. Need refreshing though :

http://mvdb.org/projects/beanunit/
It tests getters and setters automagically.
Maybe because of the magic code involved the code is not very "clean"
and maybe not suitable for a commons test component.

Mvgr,
Martin