Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thomas Haines <th...@recallmedia.com.au> on 2008/08/24 16:16:27 UTC

automatic login

Hi all

I'm trying to figure out a way to "automatically login" a user.  It
arises when they have created an account, and I don't want to then
direct them back to a login page - rather, I want to, in this
instance, just log them in.

I am using Tomcat's container-managed security.

I am using CentOS / JVM 1.6 / apache-tomcat-6.0.14.

Does anyone know if the API allows this (and if so, how!)?

I guess I could implement my own application-managed security, but I'd
like to stick with the tomcat implementation.

Cheers
Tom

Re: automatic login

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> I'm trying to figure out a way to "automatically login" a user.  It
> arises when they have created an account, and I don't want to then  direct
> them back to a login page - rather, I want to, in this  instance, just log
> them in.
>
> I am using Tomcat's container-managed security.
>
> I am using CentOS / JVM 1.6 / apache-tomcat-6.0.14.
>
> Does anyone know if the API allows this (and if so, how!)?
>
> I guess I could implement my own application-managed security, but I'd
> like to stick with the tomcat implementation.
>
> Cheers
> Tom

Tom I actually do my own auth thing... but I think in theory you can try
this...
Emulate a client from your code... its not too difficult doing a 'post' from
java, or use httpclient, whatever you want to... then send the form stuff to
TC... TC will send you back a cookie... JSessionID = whatever
Then set that cookie manually when you send the first page back to the
user...

I think that will fool TC's security into thinking the client is logged
on...
There is no real way that I know of for intercepting TC's security (for good
reasons) other than valves, and its actually easier to just do your own
thing if you go that way... I think
Its interesting stuff...

Have fun...
The only real POJO Application Server.

Re: automatic login

Posted by Thomas Haines <th...@recallmedia.com.au>.
Hi Chris

Thanks.  This looks like 'just the ticket' - I'll take a look.

Tom

Re: automatic login

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.