Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chiradeep Vittal <ch...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/01 18:25:55 UTC

Re: Migrating CloudStack content from download.cloud.com

I believe that there is already a new site, but the software still points
to download.cloud.com.  There was also discussion about
 - building mirror sites instead of a SPOF site
 - eliminating the automatic download of templates and updating the
documentation on use of offline templates.
Older releases may not be changed, but users need to be notified and
documentation needs to be updated and publicized.

Thread here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201605.mbox/thread?4

We should ask for the download.cloud.com site to be taken offline for 24
hours to see how many people scream, perhaps then the community will swing
into action?

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <ch...@gmail.com>.
Also, the default templates are bad defaults. For example, "CentOS
5.3(64-bit) no GUI (XenServer)" is severely out of date and is probably
riddled with hundreds of critical vulnerabilities. We should treat our
community as informed choosers and point them to
 - well known / frequently updated builds (e.g.,
http://dl.openvm.eu/cloudstack/)
 - instructions on how to build default templates (e.g., using Packer
https://www.packer.io/docs/builders/qemu.html )

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
Chiradeep,