Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org> on 2001/12/02 22:39:44 UTC

Apache/2.0.28 - SSL bug?

hi,
I'm testing Apache/2.0.28 (Unix) mod_ssl/3.0a0 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
on my linux box for SSL connections.
When I connect  to
    https://it97.dyn.dhs.org/
the server is pretty fast, but I've observed some strange behavior, e.g.
if you click on the link
https://it97.dyn.dhs.org/misc/LDAP
the server responds
***
While trying to retrieve the URL:
new.host.name:443
The following error was encountered:
Unable to determine IP address from host name for
new.host.name
***
this is very strange and with the Netscape or Galeon browser you will
mostly get the source code of the page.

Should I report this as a bug? Can anyone proof that?
Of course, I'm going to install .22 as ssl server within the next
days...
thanks i.a.

--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund    Thum
|  |

Re: Apache/2.0.28 - SSL bug?

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> Sorry, but I really don't believe that servername is ok.  Not when your
> server is sending trailing-slash redirects to new.host.name:443.  Does the
> SSL vhost have a proper servername?
you're right, I've simply forgotten this "standard" line within the
ssl.conf though editing the lines above and below.
This explains the link behavior with the missing trailing slash but not
why the page content is
- well displayed with the Opera browser on Linux/Win - Netscape, IE Win
- page source is shown by Netscape, Galeon, w3m on Linux

thanks
--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund    Thum
|  |

RE: Apache/2.0.28 - SSL bug?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: ithum@it97.dyn.dhs.org [mailto:ithum@it97.dyn.dhs.org]> >
> > It sounds to me like ServerName is not set correctly, so when the server
> > tries to redirect you to the proper URL (with the trailing slash
> > included), you get sent to a bad hostname.
> >
> ServerName is ok (domain name), it was missing the trailing slash in
> https://it97.dyn.dhs.org/misc/LDAP
>                                   ^
> what produced that behaviour and thats brandnew for Apache 2.028,
> but doesn't still explain the different behaviour of displaying page
> content in different
> browsers (linux and win)

Sorry, but I really don't believe that servername is ok.  Not when your
server is sending trailing-slash redirects to new.host.name:443.  Does the
SSL vhost have a proper servername?

Joshua.

Re: Apache/2.0.28 - SSL bug?

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
Joshua Slive schrieb:

> On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Irmund Thum wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > I'm testing Apache/2.0.28 (Unix) mod_ssl/3.0a0 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
> > on my linux box for SSL connections.
> > When I connect  to
> >     https://it97.dyn.dhs.org/
> > the server is pretty fast, but I've observed some strange behavior, e.g.
> > if you click on the link
> > https://it97.dyn.dhs.org/misc/LDAP
> > the server responds
> > ***
> > While trying to retrieve the URL:
> > new.host.name:443
> > The following error was encountered:
> > Unable to determine IP address from host name for
> > new.host.name
> > ***
>
> It sounds to me like ServerName is not set correctly, so when the server
> tries to redirect you to the proper URL (with the trailing slash
> included), you get sent to a bad hostname.

ServerName is ok (domain name), it was missing the trailing slash in
https://it97.dyn.dhs.org/misc/LDAP
                                  ^
what produced that behaviour and thats brandnew for Apache 2.028,
but doesn't still explain the different behaviour of displaying page
content in different
browsers (linux and win)

thanks

--