Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/08/24 23:07:02 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/include http_core.h

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 06:12:02PM -0000, wrowe@apache.org wrote:
> wrowe       01/08/24 11:12:02
>
>   Modified:    server   core.c request.c
>                include  http_core.h
>   Log:
>     sec, sec, who's got a sec?  This gave me a headache, but I had to clear
>     out the last patch before I rearranged this to be _readable_.
>
>     Next step for everyone's sanity, provide <Proxy > directives ;)

*THANK YOU*

I ran into that crap when I was doing the "ap_conf_vector_t" work. Took a
lot of duct tape to repair my head. Just never got a chance to go back and
fix the stuff.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 04:24:35PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I'm not approaching this again until I've slept on it.  I have the patch
> essentially finished, adding a per-'dir' (proxy location, really) pattern
> of p, with a isregex flag of r.  That's about as complicated as it gets.

I'm not sure that I follow what the pattern thing is all about.

> There will be no more 'faux' filenames.  It's either an absolute path, or
> undefined (and irrelevant.)  A few modules will get to deal with in anyways
> (such as mod_mime.)
>
> I'll start tommorow and wrap up tommorow, so everyone can take a look at what
> else this impacts.  But getting rid of 'specials' is the only way to clean out
> directory_walk of all it's very heavy cruft.

Note that r->filename and friends (finfo, canonical_filename, etc) are all
related to the filesystem. As such, they are all completely bogus when
you're talking about purely virtual resources (such as /server-status or
content coming from a database). Thus, they should not be part of the
request_rec, but instead part of a private structure to something like
mod_filesystem. That mod_filesystem would implement the various translation
and other fs-related items that occur.

And no... I'm not suggesting this happen any time soon :-) But it will one
day, if I can figure out how to tackle it and can set aside the time.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

> >     sec, sec, who's got a sec?  This gave me a headache, but I had to clear
> >     out the last patch before I rearranged this to be _readable_.
> >
> >     Next step for everyone's sanity, provide <Proxy > directives ;)
>
> *THANK YOU*
>
> I ran into that crap when I was doing the "ap_conf_vector_t" work. Took a
> lot of duct tape to repair my head. Just never got a chance to go back and
> fix the stuff.

You are welcome :)

I'm not approaching this again until I've slept on it.  I have the patch
essentially finished, adding a per-'dir' (proxy location, really) pattern
of p, with a isregex flag of r.  That's about as complicated as it gets.

I'll commit the patch to Proxy in the morning, it will break any module that
'fakes' a filename.  Essentially, a new hook, ap_walk_hook or some such, will
run for an OK.  Proxy will grab that hook, so all is well.  Anybody else who
munges a 'fake' request, with a non-absolute path, will have to do the same.

There will be no more 'faux' filenames.  It's either an absolute path, or
undefined (and irrelevant.)  A few modules will get to deal with in anyways
(such as mod_mime.)

I'll start tommorow and wrap up tommorow, so everyone can take a look at what
else this impacts.  But getting rid of 'specials' is the only way to clean out
directory_walk of all it's very heavy cruft.

Bill