Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Michael Howard <mh...@podiumdata.com> on 2015/05/20 15:44:26 UTC

datetime data type

I would like to have a discussion about a number of issues/questions
related to support for the datetime datatype in pig.

main topics:

 * ToDate(chararray) accepts ISO-8601 'T' timestamps, but not JDBC space '
' timestamps ... thereby make it incompatible with hive, impala & JDBC data
sources

* casting: (datetime)timestampString fails, even though datetime is listed
as a primitive data type.

* ToDate(chararray) throws an exception (rather than returning null) when
given a mal-formed timestamp ... is this the desired behavior?

It is unclear to me if this is the appropriate forum for a discussion of
these topics ... or if I should have a side-discussion with an experienced
core pig developer.

Please advise.

Michael