Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2008/09/04 23:53:14 UTC

FOPNGSerializer and utf-8

Hi all,

I stumbled over an old problem on the solr mailing list:

http://solr.markmail.org/search/?q=forrest#query:forrest+page:1
+mid:ufocogvqrvrrg75c+state:results

To pin down the problem:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/who.html shows Otis Gospodnetić
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/who.pdf shows Otis Gospodneti#

Have a look at http://forrest.apache.org/who.pdf there you will find
"Brian M. Dubé" which is perfectly preserved.

I guess it is because the different character set and the solution
probably is the work that Sjur is currently conducting. BTW the thread
is pointing out FOR-132, are they related?

Has somebody a tip how I can fix it?

salu2

Re: FOPNGSerializer and utf-8

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 08:50 +0300, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Den 5. sep. 2008 kl. 08.34 skrev Sjur Moshagen:
>
> >> BTW the thread
> >> is pointing out FOR-132, are they related?
> >
> > I didn't know about that bug, but yes, that is it. I'll comment on
> > that bug.
>
> I know see that I have commented myself in that bug - but that was
> over 4 years ago. My memory is much shorter than that :)

jeje, yeah I saw that. ;)

Posted by Sjur Moshagen <sj...@mac.com>.
Den 5. sep. 2008 kl. 08.34 skrev Sjur Moshagen:

>> BTW the thread
>> is pointing out FOR-132, are they related?
>
> I didn't know about that bug, but yes, that is it. I'll comment on
> that bug.

I know see that I have commented myself in that bug - but that was
over 4 years ago. My memory is much shorter than that :)

Sjur

Re: FOPNGSerializer and utf-8

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> >
> > I have documented the new features in the pdf plugin documentation,
> > but last time I checked, it was not yet visible on the Forrest site.
> >
> > Perhaps we need to release a new version of the pdf plugin?
>
> Not sure about that. I can remember that Ferdinand has ported the
> earlier changes (fop update) to the 0.8 plugin maybe he can comment on
> this.

Cannot publish it until it is ready for users.

There is a process to follow. Some is described at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html#release

I presume that yours will require an increment of the
"forrestVersion" number as well as the "version" attribute.
in the plugins descriptor $FORREST_HOME/plugins/plugins.xml

IMPORTANT: Please ensure that the previous work on
the PDF plugin was deployed before doing yours.
Don't know how to find out - perhaps review the
svn@forrest or svn-site@forrest mail lists. Also
review the dev@forrest list around the time of
introducing those changes.

This would need to be done from a version of trunk
that does not yet contain your changes.

-David

Re: FOPNGSerializer and utf-8

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 08:34 +0300, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Den 5. sep. 2008 kl. 00.53 skrev Thorsten Scherler:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I stumbled over an old problem on the solr mailing list:
> >
> > http://solr.markmail.org/search/?q=forrest#query:forrest+page:1
> > +mid:ufocogvqrvrrg75c+state:results
> >
> > To pin down the problem:
> > http://lucene.apache.org/solr/who.html shows Otis Gospodnetić
> > http://lucene.apache.org/solr/who.pdf shows Otis Gospodneti#
> >
> > Have a look at http://forrest.apache.org/who.pdf there you will find
> > "Brian M. Dubé" which is perfectly preserved.
> >
> > I guess it is because the different character set
>
> It is rather because of the glyph repertoir in the font being used by
> the FOPNGSerializer - if there is no glyph for the requested character
> in the font, it will come out as #, a square, a question mark, or
> nothing (# in the case above).

Makes sense.

> > and the solution
> > probably is the work that Sjur is currently conducting.
>
> Yes :)

Nice. :)

> > BTW the thread
> > is pointing out FOR-132, are they related?
>
> I didn't know about that bug, but yes, that is it. I'll comment on
> that bug.
>
> > Has somebody a tip how I can fix it?
>
> Use the latest SVN version of Forrest, and use the pdf plugin coming
> with the sources (not the one on the web). This will work for Skins-
> based sites, and basic pages will now also work in dispatcher-based
> sites (the dispatcher work isn't finished yet, but the seed-site front
> page renders fine in pdf at least).

I will have a look on the weekend for the dipatcher support in detail.

> I have documented the new features in the pdf plugin documentation,
> but last time I checked, it was not yet visible on the Forrest site.

I will check it out and give you feedback.

> Perhaps we need to release a new version of the pdf plugin?

Not sure about that. I can remember that Ferdinand has ported the
earlier changes (fop update) to the 0.8 plugin maybe he can comment on
this.

Thanks for the feedback and your work.

salu2

Posted by Sjur Moshagen <sj...@mac.com>.