Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> on 2010/12/06 20:02:34 UTC

[lucy-dev] ElasticSearch

Ran across this today:

http://www.elasticsearch.com/

I've just looked at it briefly and wanted others to be aware of the project.

Re: [lucy-dev] ElasticSearch

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:54:32PM +0100, Dobrica Pavlinusic wrote:
> Which leads me to practical question: what's current state of schema in
> KinoSearch and/or lucy?
>
> I seems to remember API for adding fields on the fly while indexing in
> older version of KinoSearch, but I can't find anything similar in
> documentation for 0.31.
>
> I would love to index CouchDB _changes feed with (much like
> ElasticSearch CouchDB river) but I don't really know schema in advance.

Dynamic schemas are supported, same as in KS 0.2x.  Supplying a document with
an unknown field still triggers an exception, so you just have to iterate over
all fields in the unknown document and call spec_field() for anything which
hasn't been seen before.

    while (my $doc = get_next_doc_from_somewhere()) {
        for my $field (keys %$doc) {
            next if $schema->fetch_type($field);
            $schema->spec_field(name => $field, type => $type);
        }
        $indexer->add_doc($doc);
    }
    $indexer->commit;

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] ElasticSearch

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Dobrica Pavlinusic wrote on 12/06/2010 04:54 PM:

> In similar vain, I found Riak search very isteresting:
>
> http://www.basho.com/riaksearch.html
>
> In fast, I love everything about it (including ability to throw xml at
> it and get it indexed), but I would love to have something similar in
> perl.

Swish3 handles the XML parsing, using KinoSearch on the backend. It'll
use Lucy as soon as we can get a Lucy release out the door.

Dynamic, on-the-fly schemas based on parsing XML could be supported as
well in Swish3. That's already on the todo list.

Help us get a Lucy release done so we can build on it. :)

Re: [lucy-dev] ElasticSearch

Posted by Dobrica Pavlinusic <dp...@rot13.org>.

--
Dobrica Pavlinusic               2share!2flame            dpavlin@rot13.org