Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Zdravko Gligic <zg...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/05 04:03:02 UTC

Embeddable CouchDB

Folks,

I am building an Adobe AIR application and it really hurts even to
think about using its embedded SQLite, instead of CouchDB because of
the app's need for client/server replication. Then I read how CouchDB
is avilable on Android and mobile devices and right of simplicity of
installation comes to mind - being deployed to such non geekish
masses.  Then I read something about Jan's CouchDBX.

So, just how difficult would it be to come up with a set of command
prompt runnable utilities that I could invoke from Adobe AIR or any
desktop application, that would kickstart an install of CouchDB if it
is not already installed and then would start whatever [service]
processes are required to keep it running and usable from my AIR app ?

Can CouchDB be installed to any Windows folder?
Are there any registries or anything else that is updated?
What about Erlang and its installation?
What else is happening in current CouchOne binary install?

Thanks a log,
Teslan

Re: Embeddable CouchDB

Posted by Kapil Kaushik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dale,

Will try this out and let you know.

Regards,
Kapil

Re: Embeddable CouchDB

Posted by Dale Harvey <da...@arandomurl.com>.
The current size of the android build is 4.2MB (that includes erlang,
spidermonkey and couch, but not icu) so building an installer within
reasonable size limits should be possible.

its definitely something I want to look at but probably wont have time to
until the android build is finalised, I would also keep an eye on benoitc's
refuge project as he has said that is also a goal

Cheers
Dale

Re: Embeddable CouchDB

Posted by Kapil Kaushik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Teslan/Dave,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am also working on creating an AIR app which
has a strong need for online/offline synchronization. I want to create a
standalone AIR installer, which installs the app as well as couch DB all in one
go...without bothering the end user. Now, I still need to identify how I am I

Re: Embeddable CouchDB

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 5 February 2011 16:03, Zdravko Gligic <zg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am building an Adobe AIR application and it really hurts even to
> think about using its embedded SQLite, instead of CouchDB because of
> the app's need for client/server replication. Then I read how CouchDB
> is avilable on Android and mobile devices and right of simplicity of
> installation comes to mind - being deployed to such non geekish
> masses.  Then I read something about Jan's CouchDBX.
>
> So, just how difficult would it be to come up with a set of command
> prompt runnable utilities that I could invoke from Adobe AIR or any
> desktop application, that would kickstart an install of CouchDB if it
> is not already installed and then would start whatever [service]
> processes are required to keep it running and usable from my AIR app ?
>
> Can CouchDB be installed to any Windows folder?
> Are there any registries or anything else that is updated?
> What about Erlang and its installation?
> What else is happening in current CouchOne binary install?
>
> Thanks a log,
> Teslan

Hi Teslan

I can't answer your other questions but for CouchDB install on
windows. Let me know if you need more info.

> Can CouchDB be installed to any Windows folder?

- yes it can - there are silent install options using the inno5 installer
    http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php & http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/
you'll end up with something like this:
setup.exe /silent /dir="c:\relaxing\folder"

caveats - if the Visual C++ runtime needs updating this might in some
cases require a reboot.

> Are there any registries or anything else that is updated?

there's no significant registry entries - just enough to drive the
uninstaller. All the later config settings happen in the couchdb ini
files in %installdir%\etc\couchdb\

If you install as a service then there are other requirements
obviously like any service you'll need to have sufficient permissions
to do so.

> What about Erlang and its installation?

ditto as above. The main thing is that erlang runs install.exe
post-install to ensure it is in the "right" directory - updating 2
copies (yup 2) of erl.ini.

> What else is happening in current CouchOne binary install?

I've not looked at this but I think the intent was to provide an
install that can be unpacked in your home folder & "just works". Let
us know what you find out when you try it.

Cheers
Dave