Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/01 06:02:58 UTC

[VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Hi,

Please review and vote on the 1.0.1-incubating release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for Java.

The RC3 contains a few fixes to issues discovered in RC2 (build.xml for web apps, distributed calculator and excesssive jars). Thank you for reporting and fixing the issues promptly.

SVN Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.0.1-RC3/

Stage maven repo: http://people.apache.org/~rfeng/tuscany/maven/

RAT report:
http://people.apache.org/~rfeng/tuscany/1.0.1-RC3/1.0.1-RC3.rat.txt

Distros (zip/gz/asc/md5) :
http://people.apache.org/~rfeng/tuscany/1.0.1-RC3/

Thanks,
Raymond

Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/1/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please review and vote on the 1.0.1-incubating release artifacts of
> > Tuscany SCA for Java.
> >
> > The RC3 contains a few fixes to issues discovered in RC2 (build.xml for
> > web apps, distributed calculator and excesssive jars). Thank you for
> > reporting and fixing the issues promptly.
> >
> > SVN Tag:
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.0.1-RC3/
> >
> > Stage maven repo: http://people.apache.org/~rfeng/tuscany/maven/
> >
> > RAT report:
> > http://people.apache.org/~rfeng/tuscany/1.0.1-RC3/1.0.1-RC3.rat.txt
> >
> > Distros (zip/gz/asc/md5) :
> > http://people.apache.org/~rfeng/tuscany/1.0.1-RC3/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Raymond
> >

> +1
>
> The one main issue is that the Jettison copyright is missing from the
> NOTICE
> file (it is in the LICENSE file but should be in the NOTICE instead). This
> should be fixed if there's a respin. If someone was being pedantic they
> could maybe block the release for this so its a gamble taking it on to the
> IPMC. I'd probably risk it but up to you to decide :)
>
> None of the rest are blockers:
>
> That RAT report attached to the vote email looks like an old one, but I've
> run it locally and can't see anything serious, couple of new missing
> license
> headers.
>
> LICENSE file issues: commons-cli, commons-discovery and xbean aren't
> included in the list of AL components, j2ee-management has the wrong
> version
> now, jettison shouldn't be listed separately but just included in the list
> of AL components.
>
> The maven repo artifacts are not signed, can just sign them while the
> votes
> are continuing on.
>
> The bin distro INSTALL file mentions a doc folder but we no longer have
> that
>
> Running the calculator sample has logging output mixed in with the sample
> output, so the README output is wrong. I think we should remove the
> logging
> to keep the sample as simple as possible.
>
> Something is dragging in axiom dependencies so for example all the webapp
> sample war's includes axiom and all its dependencies.
>
> The helloworld-dojo and jsonrpc sample Ant build scripts includes a duff
> jar
> name: tuscany-databinding-json-1.0.1-incubating.jar-SNAPSHOT.jar, so the
> Ant
> built artifacts don't work.
>
> I'm about to go in leave so don't have time to try all of the samples
> sorry
> but all the other ones i have tried look good running and building ok.
>
>    ...ant

I've just been through most of the samples/demos. This is what I found

demos:
  alert-aggregator-webapp - fails as it needs the definitions-xml dependency
adding to build.xml
  bigbank - all the parts run up but I get no response from the
getAccountReport button. Haven't investigated yet
  xml-bigbank - ant compile fails as build.xml doesn't create
tartget/classes if it doesn't already exit. Workaround is to create it
manually.

samples:
  helloworld-bpel - NPE to do with file io,  haven't investigated
  helloworld-dojo-webapp - see ant's comment above
  helloworld-jsonrpc-webapp - see ant's comment above
  helloworld-ws-reference-jms - ant run doesn't work, README is wrong. We
should remove this sample
  helloworld-ws-service-secure - ships with a work directory. Should filter
it out

While none of these are a big deal in their own right because 3 out of our 4
demos don't work out of the box I'm -1.

Regards

Simon

Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fixing the issues found in RC3, was: Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raymond,

I have fixed the minor types that I cited in the build.xml and README and
committed them to the branch.  I could not get ahead of you with the changes
for the json databinding thing.

So that leaves the command prompt closing issue for the distributed
calculator and then getting the jms sample to run.  I am ok with the
distributed calculator in its current state.  What about the jms sample ?
SimonL mentioned about leaving it out.

- Venkat

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/1/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think Ant script is not supported for BPEL as per the README.
> >
> > - Venkat

> > stay
> > > at

> > changes

I've checked in the reverted binding.jsonrpc files and a few fixes to the
aggregation demo.

Regards

Simon

Re: Fixing the issues found in RC3, was: Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/1/07, Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Ant script is not supported for BPEL as per the README.
>
> - Venkat
>
> On 11/2/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > How did you run ? and do you still have stack trace of the error ?

> > at

> changes

Ah - thanks Venkat - doh!

Simon

Re: Fixing the issues found in RC3, was: Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Sorry... I meant ant script is not supported for the helloworld-bpel
sample... ( and not BPEL)

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/1/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm considering to revert the jsonrpc changes so that it will stay at
> > 1.0-incubating level. What do you guys think?
>
> +1... My thought is that we should only have safe incremental changes
> on 1.0.1 and looks like these are not 100% mature yet, so I'm OK
> removing it and just leaving in trunk.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Raymond

dojo samples work and the aggregator demo works. I can't get the store
sample to work but I notice now that this didn't work on the previous distro
so it's not related to the reversion. I must have just missed it out before.
It comes up but there are no catalog entries

Regards

Simon

Re: Fixing the issues found in RC3, was: Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,