Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mcalexander, Jon J." <jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID> on 2023/09/26 15:32:01 UTC

SSLHostConfig question

Good morning Gentle People,

I have a question around the SSLHostConfig SSL Connector in Tomcat. In the <certificate ... />  section, if the SSL Certificate is in a Windows PFS Keystore, is it appropriate to add

certificateKeystoreType="PFX"

or

certificateKeystore="path to pfx file" type="PFX"

I'm finding reference to certificateKeystoreType, but not in regards to PKCS12/PFX types.

Thanks,

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Asst. Vice President
He/His

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | EAS | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com<ma...@wellsfargo.com>
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

RE: SSLHostConfig question

Posted by "Mcalexander, Jon J." <jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID>.
Thank you Chris!

Re: SSLHostConfig question

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jonm

RE: SSLHostConfig question

Posted by "Mcalexander, Jon J." <jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID>.

Re: SSLHostConfig question

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 9/26/23 12:54, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Jon,
>>
>> On 9/26/23 11:32, Mcalexander, Jon J. wrote:
>>> I have a question around the SSLHostConfig SSL Connector in Tomcat.
>>> In the <certificate ... />  section, if the SSL Certificate is in a
>>> Windows PFS Keystore, is it appropriate to add
>>>
>>> certificateKeystoreType="PFX"
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> certificateKeystore="path to pfx file" type="PFX"
>>>
>>> I'm finding reference to certificateKeystoreType, but not in regards
>>> to PKCS12/PFX types.
>>
>> I don't think Tomcat supports "PFX" files per-se, but the intertubes
>> say that PFX is PKCS12, which IS supported. So try using "PKCS12"
>> which I think is the default.
>
> Default for all keystore types is JKS.
>
> As Chris says, "pkcs12" should work.

Most recent JVMs will open a JKS file or PKCS12 file regardless of which
type you actually specify. That was their solution to switching the
default from JKS to PKCS12.

At this point, Tomcat should probably issue a warning if the type is
"JKS" and just tell users "stop using JKS, use PKCS12 instead".

-chris

Re: SSLHostConfig question

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: SSLHostConfig question