Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/18 02:58:24 UTC

General Tapestry Question - File permissions

guys,

this is a general java question, but since i am using tapestry i
thought i will raise it here. i am using tap3.

now whats happening is, that i am running a postgres backup command
from within my tapestry web app. the user enters a folder location in
a form, which i grab and run the postgres backup command and backup
this backedup file at that location. so its a general tapestry form
implementation and java io.

now when the user submits the location, i check if the location exists
using .exists() and only then perform the backup. now my concern is
that i can backup files to folders the user does not have access to. i
mean if using windows explorer, i set the access permissions to a set
folder, as full control deny all (read, write etc) by me, and then if
i click on it it says the folder is inaccessible, access denied. now
if i enter this location in my tapestry form, the system performs a
backup and generates the required backup file in that folder, even
though i do not have access rights to that folder and cant access it.

so i guess my question is, this a bug in java, postgres or its
actually meant to happen. and how can i tell the user that the system
cannot write to the folder as you dont have access permissions to it.

any help please. thanks.

Re: General Tapestry Question - File permissions

Posted by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com>.
am not sure if i follow. so how can i fix this. i have a tomcat server
running. so i have to `edit something in the tomcat settings? and if
yes, could you provide some further info.

Posted by Andrea Chiumenti <ki...@gmail.com>.
of course it's not a bug in java!
but the permissin you tomcat/jetty/whatever is running with!

kiuma