Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org> on 2004/12/05 13:22:25 UTC

Releasing 1.2.1

Dear dev community,

I still try to get consensus on when and how we want to release.
Issues with the last release schedule for 1.2.1 were:

1. Too long
2. Not the right order of release activities

Related to issue 1, there is not much we can do about it, since the
release time frame depends on the number of bugs found during testing
and the personal time table of the release contributors.

I tried to fix/discuss issue 2, mainly raised by Michi concerning a
general release schedule. I recorded my and his thoughts in
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleaseHowTo but I got NO feedback until
now.

I do not want, that the release is done January for February, but if we
can not agree on the schedule and the activities, we will not release in
December.

However, please review http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleaseHowTo. I will
then start a new vote on the general release schedule and after that, I
would do a vote to start the schedule for 1.2.1.

WDYT?

Thanks.

BTW: I tried 1.2.x with cocoon 2.1.6 and it seems to work. I have not
tested everything. I guess we are going to release with cocoon 2.1.6?

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: Releasing 1.2.1

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> Mhh, do you think my proposal is more complicated than yours? I only see
> that my one is formulated in more detail, but is quite the same as
> yours. I personally think it is better to have it more detailed, but
> that is discussable. IMHO, the details make the process more transparent
> for commiter newbies.

agreed. there were some unecessary steps in there that you took out,
thanks for that.

> Gregor, please look at http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleaseHowTo again.
> I have included your thoughts as the general idea of making a release
> and used mine as a detailed version of it. Do you agree?

looks good!

> You mentioned branching is overkill: I thought we use the branch e.g.
> tags/RELEASE_1_2_1 as a tag for the release. WDYT?

sounds good as long as bug fixes do not happen on the tag, but on the
main 1.2 branch. it would be silly to have to maintain more than 1
stable branch. the tag should be nothing more than pointer to a specific
svn number. maybe i am full of it, and thats what tags are anyway :)

> I guess your idea is making the tag branch at the point where the stable
> 1_2_X BRANCH is tested and we want to roll the release archives? Ok, I
> can see your point then. Please comment this mail and I will change this
> issue in the release schedule proposal.

correct. in cvs at least, a tag is not a branch. i would expect svn to
be the same.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: Releasing 1.2.1

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Releasing 1.2.1

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> Related to issue 1, there is not much we can do about it, since the
> release time frame depends on the number of bugs found during testing
> and the personal time table of the release contributors.

agreed on the time constraints. my beef was with the notion that testing
should only begin when a release is imminent (see my proposal on the wiki)

> I tried to fix/discuss issue 2, mainly raised by Michi concerning a
> general release schedule. I recorded my and his thoughts in
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleaseHowTo but I got NO feedback until
> now.

well, i added my thoughts, and i also noticed that you updated your
process to accomodate my concerns. much appreciated.

i think your plan can be further simplified, i'll add my thoughts on the
wiki.

> I do not want, that the release is done January for February, but if we
> can not agree on the schedule and the activities, we will not release in
> December.

i'm willing to go with your plan for this release, but would like us to
consider streamlining it as i outlined on the wiki.

> However, please review http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleaseHowTo. I will
> then start a new vote on the general release schedule and after that, I
> would do a vote to start the schedule for 1.2.1.
>
> WDYT?

sounds good. thanks for the cat-herding roku, much appreciated!

> BTW: I tried 1.2.x with cocoon 2.1.6 and it seems to work. I have not
> tested everything. I guess we are going to release with cocoon 2.1.6?

my tests with 2.1.6 have been sucessful so far too. i would recommend to
release with 2.1.6. besides reducing confusion, this gives us a much
better basis to build the next release (never mind that the trunk
requires 2.1.6 because of the xalan changes) see my recent email about
what 2.1.6 gives us.