Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org> on 2019/01/03 13:30:13 UTC

Splitting jackrabbit-standalone?

Hi,

I'd like to help fix VFS-686 [1] by upgrading JR dependency from 1.6.5
to 2.18.x for the WebDAV vfs provider. The fix will allow to use
WebDAV DataStore backend again. (Since JR upgraded httpclient to v4.x,
WebDAV backend has been broken.)

One problem is that the test case for WebDAV vfs provider counts on
jackrabbit-standalone dependency--to start an extended JR Main for
testing--which has been unavailable in maven repos for long time. It's
understandable not to deploy the module as it's too big.
At the same time, it would be awkward if VFS should contain all the
necessary JR dependencies as jackrabbit-standalone does.

I think it would be nice if we split the module, by moving all the
Java classes and resources with most dependencies, except of
jackrabbit-webapp, to a new maven module (e.g,
"jackrabbit-standalone-components") and having dependency on this new
module and webapp module in jackrabbit-standalone bundle module. This
will let VFS keep the JR dependencies simple and easy.

How does it sound?

Thanks in advance,

Woonsan

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-686

Re: Splitting jackrabbit-standalone?

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I managed to create a pull request for JCR-4401 [1] -- separating
jackrabbit-standalone-components from jackrabbit-standalone, mainly
for VFS-686 [2]:
With a local build from my feature/JCR-4401 branch, everything seems
working fine: new webdav4 VFS provider [3]. Jackrabbit also seems
successful in unit tests.
If there's no issue, then I'll merge it to trunk next week.

Thanks,

Woonsan

[1] https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/pull/82
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-686
[3] https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/pull/52

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 4:52 PM Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> By the way, I don't seem to be able to assign JCR-4401 to myself.
> >> Could someone allow me to do that?
> >
> > That is strange. Michael Duerig, can you help with that?
>
> Woonsan,
>

> I tried adding your JIRA user to the PMC role manually... Not sure
> though whether his worked as the JIRA UI seems a bit flaky here. Could
> you try again and let me know?

It works! Thank you so much, Michael and Julian!

Cheers,

Woonsan

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2019-01-08 at 08:52 +0100, Michael Dürig wrote:
> I tried adding your JIRA user to the PMC role manually... Not sure
> though whether his worked as the JIRA UI seems a bit flaky here.
> Could
> you try again and let me know?

For some more context - INFRA has stopped syncing LDAP roles to Jira,
so all role management has to be done manually. I don't have the wiki
page at hand, but I think it was documented somewhere in Confluence.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Splitting jackrabbit-standalone?

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2019-01-03 14:30, Woonsan Ko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to help fix VFS-686 [1] by upgrading JR dependency from 1.6.5
> to 2.18.x for the WebDAV vfs provider. The fix will allow to use
> WebDAV DataStore backend again. (Since JR upgraded httpclient to v4.x,
> WebDAV backend has been broken.)
>
> One problem is that the test case for WebDAV vfs provider counts on
> jackrabbit-standalone dependency--to start an extended JR Main for
> testing--which has been unavailable in maven repos for long time. It's
> understandable not to deploy the module as it's too big.
> At the same time, it would be awkward if VFS should contain all the
> necessary JR dependencies as jackrabbit-standalone does.
>
> I think it would be nice if we split the module, by moving all the
> Java classes and resources with most dependencies, except of
> jackrabbit-webapp, to a new maven module (e.g,
> "jackrabbit-standalone-components") and having dependency on this new
> module and webapp module in jackrabbit-standalone bundle module. This
> will let VFS keep the JR dependencies simple and easy.
>
> How does it sound?

Sounds good to me.

Best regards, Julian