Posted to wsrp4j-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2003/12/15 22:42:02 UTC

portals.apache.org

I would like to propose creating a new top level project (TLP) at
Apache: portals.apache.org
Before doing so, I've started this email thread to introduce the
concept.
Could you all please provide some feedback and opinions so we can see
if everyone stands behind this new TLP.

The proposal for portals.apache.org is based on bringing together
communities from all of the portal-related projects at Jakarta:

1. Jetspeed
2. Jetspeed-2
3. Pluto
4. WSRP-4J
5. Portlet Applications ....

These projects would be moved out of jakarta.apache.org and into
portals.apache.org for ex portals.apache.org/jetspeed or
portals.apache.org/pluto

Goals of portals.apache.org:

1. To promote the use of portlet applications. We view portlets as an
important technology in the growing portal and web application
environments.  We intend to build freely available portlet
applications, portal servers, and portlet containers in order to
promote the use of this technology.
2. To encourage developers from all Apache portal projects to work
together and share common code
3. To develop Portlet Applications and Portlet Application frameworks
at portals.apache.org and grow the portal community here. Portlet
Applications will be managed as sub-projects.
     Portal Applications will enable a higher level of application
development while cleanly separating the development of portals such as
Jetspeed from applications code.
4. To provide a community for portal-related Java and XML standards and
reference implementations under the ASF license at portals.apache.org

Note that I have cross-posted to all three (Jetspeed, Pluto, and
WSRP4J) mailing lists.
To respond across mailing lists, respond to ALL.
Not sure if this is the best solution, since Im going to receive 3
emails being that Im a member of all 3 lists.
But this allows for a cross-discussions between the three developer
groups on this thread.
(I will also post this same message to the 3 user lists tomorrow.)

Regarding Cocoon's portal, I don't understand Cocoon's portal well
enough to say it should or should not be a part of portals.apache.org.
I have doubts that they would want to decouple from Cocoon, but you
don't know until you ask.
Of course the Cocoon community is welcome and we should discuss how
this can happen.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by patrick chanezon <Pa...@Sun.COM>.
Excellent idea.

P@

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by patrick chanezon <Pa...@Sun.COM>.
Excellent idea.

P@

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org>.
+1  -- Julie Macnaught

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org>.
+1  -- Julie Macnaught

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org>.
+1  -- Julie Macnaught

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Richard Jacob <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Richard Jacob <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@sword-technologies.com>.
Very good to promote jetspeed.  Certainly very good to centralise info
on portal/portlets technologies and associated applications. Until now,
I didn't know the project WSRP-4J. So for a jetspeed user like me, it
sound to be a great idea. One place to get the max info on portal
related apache products.

We want this site, we want this site, we want this site !

Christophe

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
It's a great idea to have a single entry point for several apache portal
projects.

<snip>
> 2. To encourage developers from all Apache portal projects to work
> together and share common code

Pluto shares already code with Jetspeed and structuring the different portal
projects under portals.apache.org would encourage more code sharing.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by patrick chanezon <Pa...@Sun.COM>.
Excellent idea.

P@

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I'm also +1 for this great idea.

Stefan

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Richard Jacob <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I'm also +1 for this great idea.

Stefan

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I'm also +1 for this great idea.

Stefan

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Eric W Hauser <eh...@indiana.edu>.
Currently, IBM maintains the jars for WPS to work with Struts.  Their jars
are distributed with WPS.  It would be nice if their was an implementation
of Struts for all JSR168 portal containers.  Whether this project should
belong to portals.apache.org or should be part of the Struts project, I'm
not sure.  But, it definately would be nice if this undertaking was open
source.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Michael Vorburger wrote:

> >> talking about integrating Jetspeed with  Struts
> > Please could you explain how you see Jetspeed integrating with Struts
>
> Wondering if this is useful: An article on Developing a Struts
> Application for WebSphere Portal 4.2, which I understand is largely
> JetSpeed based:
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0303_hanis/h
> anis.html
>
> Also have a 30+ pages StrutsInPortal.pdf, Struts in WebSphere Portal
> 4.1, August 2002, IBM WebSphere Portal, Document version 1.0, which
> seems similar to above, but 1.9 MB inappropriate to email to list, happy
> to send individually if interest and above not enough.

-------------------
Eric Hauser
ehauser@indiana.edu
(317) 679-4766

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Eric W Hauser <eh...@indiana.edu>.
Currently, IBM maintains the jars for WPS to work with Struts.  Their jars
are distributed with WPS.  It would be nice if their was an implementation
of Struts for all JSR168 portal containers.  Whether this project should
belong to portals.apache.org or should be part of the Struts project, I'm
not sure.  But, it definately would be nice if this undertaking was open
source.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Michael Vorburger wrote:

> >> talking about integrating Jetspeed with  Struts
> > Please could you explain how you see Jetspeed integrating with Struts
>
> Wondering if this is useful: An article on Developing a Struts
> Application for WebSphere Portal 4.2, which I understand is largely
> JetSpeed based:
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0303_hanis/h
> anis.html
>
> Also have a 30+ pages StrutsInPortal.pdf, Struts in WebSphere Portal
> 4.1, August 2002, IBM WebSphere Portal, Document version 1.0, which
> seems similar to above, but 1.9 MB inappropriate to email to list, happy
> to send individually if interest and above not enough.

-------------------
Eric Hauser
ehauser@indiana.edu
(317) 679-4766

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Eric W Hauser <eh...@indiana.edu>.

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Michael Vorburger <vo...@verticali.com>.

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Michael Vorburger <vo...@verticali.com>.

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Michael Vorburger <vo...@verticali.com>.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

RE: portals.apache.org

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 02:51  PM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP GREAT IDEA/>
> +1
>
>> Regarding Cocoon's portal, I don't understand Cocoon's portal well
>> enough to say it should or should not be a part of
>> portals.apache.org. I have doubts that they would want to decouple
>> from Cocoon, but you don't know until you ask.
> :) Ask and you get an answer :)

:)

RE: portals.apache.org

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 02:51  PM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP GREAT IDEA/>
> +1
>
>> Regarding Cocoon's portal, I don't understand Cocoon's portal well
>> enough to say it should or should not be a part of
>> portals.apache.org. I have doubts that they would want to decouple
>> from Cocoon, but you don't know until you ask.
> :) Ask and you get an answer :)

:)

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 02:51  PM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP GREAT IDEA/>
> +1
>
>> Regarding Cocoon's portal, I don't understand Cocoon's portal well
>> enough to say it should or should not be a part of portals.apache.org.
>> I have doubts that they would want to decouple from Cocoon, but you
>> don't know until you ask.
> :) Ask and you get an answer :)

:)

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 02:51  PM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP GREAT IDEA/>
> +1
>
>> Regarding Cocoon's portal, I don't understand Cocoon's portal well
>> enough to say it should or should not be a part of portals.apache.org.
>> I have doubts that they would want to decouple from Cocoon, but you
>> don't know until you ask.
> :) Ask and you get an answer :)

:)

Re: portals.apache.org

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 02:51  PM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP GREAT IDEA/>
> +1
>
>> Regarding Cocoon's portal, I don't understand Cocoon's portal well
>> enough to say it should or should not be a part of portals.apache.org.
>> I have doubts that they would want to decouple from Cocoon, but you
>> don't know until you ask.
> :) Ask and you get an answer :)

:)

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> <SNIP GREAT IDEA/>
+1

RE: portals.apache.org

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Marco Mari <dr...@tiscali.it>.
GREAT!
It's only my opinion, but I think it's a really good idea, and an important
step for portlet/portal technology...

reference implementations under the ASF license at portals.apache.org

Note that I have cross-posted to all three (Jetspeed, Pluto, and
WSRP4J) mailing lists.
To respond across mailing lists, respond to ALL.
Not sure if this is the
>est solution, since Im going to receive 3
emails being that Im a member of all 3 lists.
But this allows for a cross-discussions between the three developer
groups on this thread.
(I will also post this same message to the 3 user lists tomorrow.)

Regarding Cocoon's portal, I don't understand Cocoon's portal well
enough to say it should or should not be a part of portals.apache.org.
I have doubts that they would want to decouple from Cocoon, but you
don't know until you ask.
Of course th
> Cocoon community is welcome and we should discuss how
this can happen.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office]   +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

Tiscali ADSL SENZA CANONE:
Attivazione GRATIS, contributo adesione GRATIS, modem GRATIS,
50 ore di navigazione GRATIS.  ABBONARTI TI COSTA SOLO UN CLICK!
http://point.tiscali.it/adsl/index.shtml

RE: portals.apache.org

Posted by Marco Mari <dr...@tiscali.it>.
GREAT!