Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2007/03/23 12:41:12 UTC

Re: Cayenne Question

Hi Prashant,

Note that Cayenne user support is done via the mailing list, as it
allows us to better share the community knowledge. I am ccy'ing the
question to the list. Please feel free to continue this discussion on
the list:

On Mar 23, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Prashant J wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

It's Andrus, not Andrew :-)

> I am new to Cayenne. I am researching various OR mapping layers and
> have been pretty impressed with the design and ease of use of
> Cayenne. My question to you is, is it possible to store the
> ORMappings in the database and load it into Cayenne? In other
> words, can I write my own Configuration to load the the meta data
> from another source rather than from the XML file structure? If so,
> please tell me how. If not, please tell me what the philosophy is.

Yes you can - this is just XML. Here is one possible scenario that
uses Cayenne to bootstrap Cayenne:

* Create a separate Cayenne project to map you "bootstrap" tables
that store the Cayenne metadata.
* Create your own Configuration subclass that internally instantiates
a temporary throwaway Configuration just to read the metadata.

Feel free to ask if you get stuck with the API.

Cheers,
Andrus