Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/09/19 19:56:11 UTC

Goals for 1.2 - Thoughts

All,

I'm not sure I've seen this question asked directly so if I'm
repeating please forgive me.

What if we focus 1.2 not on a release (certified release) but go to
milestones, switch to J2SE 1.5 and focus on JEE 5.  This means that
we make 1.1.1 our last 1.4 certified release.

I'd prefer this as we can focus on the next big goal and not try to
boil the ocean.  Sacrilege ?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: Goals for 1.2 - Thoughts

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.
Hey Matt,

I'm all for this, we can do 1.1.2 if need be to fix outstanding bugs
etc but leave the 1.1.x branch to be our 1.4 certified releases and
trunk/1.2 can move towards the JEE 5 mark (which might be boiling the
ocean :-)

TTFN,

-bd-

Re: Goals for 1.2 - Thoughts

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
This reflects my sentiments as well.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Goals for 1.2 - Thoughts

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
   IMHO, we should have a certified release from the trunk before
switching over to JEE 5. This will allow users to have a certified
release that works with Maven2. The user community is switching over to
Maven2 and do not like to work with Maven1. With our naming system this
release will have to be called 1.2.

thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Goals for 1.2 - Thoughts

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gmail.com>.

Re: Goals for 1.2 - Thoughts

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
David,

I think this follows Dain's idea to get the 1.2 release out as
quickly as possible.  I think what is happening is that we're
starting to mix the development efforts in trunk and we're going to
end up not delivering anything for a while which Dain was concerned
about as well.  Given that we need to get JTA updated to 1.1, new
WebContainers like Jetty going to Servlet 2.5, Yoko integration, etc.
it seems to make life a lot easier to branch trunk as quickly as
possible to branches 1.2 and then let trunk be the 5.0 development
area.  I wouldn't try to do J2EE 1.5 and JEE 5 in the same line as I
think it will be difficult to keep trunk in a "releasable" state.

Is trunk releasable as a 1.4 container now?  I'm asking because I
don't know the answer.  I've been chasing the 1.1.1 stuff for a while
so I'm not up to speed with where trunk is today so forgive my out-of-
touchness.

So, to clarify my thinking (which I think is what Dain was saying) is
certify trunk as a 1.4 container and get it out because there are
enhancements there.  Branch it so we can focus on JEE 5 in trunk and
not be concerned about 1.4 in trunk.

Cheers.

On Sep 19, 2006, at 3:01 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I'm not sure I've seen this question asked directly so if I'm
>> repeating please forgive me.
>>
>> What if we focus 1.2 not on a release (certified release) but go
>> to milestones, switch to J2SE 1.5 and focus on JEE 5.  This means
>> that we make 1.1.1 our last 1.4 certified release.
>>
>> I'd prefer this as we can focus on the next big goal and not try
>> to boil the ocean.  Sacrilege ?
>
> I don't think this is a good idea.
>
> I think we need to make sure our stuff still is j2ee 1.4 compliant
> as we integrate jee5 bits.  In particular openejb2 has never been
> run past the tck.  I'm very much afraid that if we try to make our
> next release jee5 it will be at least a year before we can release
> anything.
>
> With our release/branch numbering principles we cannot migrate any
> changes from trunk into the 1.1 branch and release a 1.1.x with
> e.g. the current openejb2 trunk.
>
> I also think that the exercise of making the j2ee1.4/jee5 support
> pluggable will have very good consequences for the micro-
> architecture and independence of the components and will greatly
> encourage appropriate separation of concerns and pluggability.
>
> I'm still waiting to find out from Geir/Sun about whether we can
> ship a j2ee 1.4 certified server that includes j2ee5 interfaces.
> If we can this will simplify migration considerably.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

>> Matt Hogstrom
>> matt@hogstrom.org