Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/15 11:14:25 UTC

The IDE for DevOps was: NetBeans at 8.2% in the StackOverflow 2018 developer survey

> It is weird.
>
> NetBeans is at 10.9% for Mobile Developers and 8.4% for System
> Admins/DevOps.

Admins! DevOps! Amazing.

For a long time I wanted to share my thoughts about this and seeing your
email motivated me to write an essay down:
http://wiki.apidesign.org/wiki/DevOps

Enjoy editing your build scripts!
-jt

Re: The IDE for DevOps was: NetBeans at 8.2% in the StackOverflow 2018 developer survey

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Interesting...

I wouldn't have said NetBeans was great for DevOps (we at least w.r.t. some
of the things that I look for it to do), due to the project nature of
NetBeans - everything appears to need to be in a project.

A use case I have at work is if I want to edit one of the many groovy
scripts that are injected into a CI pipeline at work, I need in NetBeans to
create a project - which is already changing the file location.  Other
using IntelliJ dont have this problem (granted they must have done some
setup somewhere to help define the classpath but I've not seen them do that)

I think if we want to help capture more of the DevOps market we need to
have support for items like (not an exhausted list of DevOps related tools):

   - Push for Gradle to be a Top Level component of Apache NetBeans much
   like Maven is.
   - Docker Compose / Swarm support
   - Top Level Groovy support (Its an Apache project so maybe we pull it
   into to NetBeans as opposed to leaving it relegated to a plugin)
   - Jenkins files syntax handline etc...  especially in existing
   maven/gradle projects

John