Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael W Cocke <co...@catherders.com> on 2007/08/02 10:15:21 UTC

A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

These blasted PDF spams are driving me mad!  Any ideas for a rule that
would trip if there's no text in the body, just a PDF attachment ?

(I'm using the PDFinfo plugin now, but I don't really understand it)

Thanks!

Mike-
--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.

Re: A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

Posted by Zbigniew Szalbot <zb...@szalbot.homedns.org>.
Hello,

Please ignore, have just found out the location. Sorry to have bothered!

Zbigniew Szalbot

--
Zbigniew Szalbot

Re: A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

Posted by Sebastian Ries <Se...@dtnet.de>.
Hi

> Excume my lack of knowlegde but where is the plugin directory for SA?
>
> I tried putting it in /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/
> then in /etc/mail and then in /usr/local/share/spamassassin
>
> When I restart spamd, it does not like when I put the path to
> /usr/local/share/spamassassin in init.pre and neither can it by itself find
> the PDFInfo.pm in /etc/mail nor in /usr/local/share/spamassassin.

In my Debian etch installation it's
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/

Regards
Sebastian Ries

DT Netsolution GmbH -  Talaeckerstr. 30 -  D-70437 Stuttgart
Tel: +49-711-849910-36               Fax: +49-711-849910-936
WEB: http://www.dtnet.de/     email: Sebastian.Ries@dtnet.de

Re: A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

Posted by Zbigniew Szalbot <zb...@szalbot.homedns.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Raquel <ra...@thericehouse.net>.
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
User for SpamAssassin Mail List <sp...@pcez.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are running a Debian Sarge system here with spamassassin
> version Version: 3.0.3-2sarge1.
>
> I tried to put these plugins (ImageInfo and loadplugin) into my
> system and got the following errors when I restarted:

<snip>

> What am I missing here to make this work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Ken,

My understanding is that the plugin system doesn't work with that
version of spamassassin.  Also, RDJ, as we are often reminded, is no
longer supported.  If we haven't upgraded from Sarge to Etch yet,
despite having very valid reasons for not having upgraded ... we're
SOL.

--
Raquel
To be nobody - but - yourself ... in a world which is doing its best

Re: A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

Posted by Adam Wilbraham <ad...@technophobia.com>.
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
User for SpamAssassin Mail List <sp...@pcez.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are running a Debian Sarge system here with spamassassin version
> Version: 3.0.3-2sarge1.

My word, get yourself 3.1.7 from Sarge backports and run sa-update
before you do anything!

Re: A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

Posted by User for SpamAssassin Mail List <sp...@pcez.com>.
As a follow up. I found a Logger.pm on the system but it was not in the
"/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/" directory. I did find one in the
"/usr/share/perl5/Razor2" directory. I made copy of this Logger.pm file
and placed it in the "Mail/SpamAssassin/" directory like it was looking
for in the error log below. When I restarted up the spamassassin program I
got different errors this time:
Aug  2 13:00:23 mail spamd[4820]: spamd starting

Aug  2 13:00:23 mail spamd[4822]: Subroutine new redefined at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Logger.pm line 17.

Aug  2 13:00:23 mail spamd[4822]: Subroutine log redefined at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Logger.pm line 73.

Aug  2 13:00:23 mail spamd[4822]: Subroutine log2file redefined at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Logger.pm line 114.

Aug  2 13:00:24 mail spamd[4822]: Failed to run GMD_PDF_FUZZY2_T1
SpamAssassin test, skipping:__(Undefined subroutine
&Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::PDFInfo::dbg called at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/PDFInfo.pm line 393._)

My guess is that this is not the right "Logger.pm" file. Where do I find
the correct file so I can make this work? And is that my only problem???

Thanks,

Ken

Posted by User for SpamAssassin Mail List <sp...@pcez.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jeroen Tebbens <je...@tebbens.net>.
Hi,

Posted by MIKE YRABEDRA <li...@323inc.com>.

Probably a stupid question, but where do I put the PDFInfo.pm file?

I put it is /etc/mail/plugins/...

But that does not work.

I will continue googling in the meantime

on 8/2/07 5:09 AM, Michael W Cocke at cocke@catherders.com wrote:

> Thanks, both of you.  Looks like an update to pdfinfo snuck out while
> I wasn't looking.  I've made the adjustments.
>
> Mike-
>

> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:39:20 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> "Michael W Cocke" <co...@catherders.com> wrote in message
>>> These blasted PDF spams are driving me mad!  Any ideas for a rule that
>>> would trip if there's no text in the body, just a PDF attachment ?
>>>
>>> (I'm using the PDFinfo plugin now, but I don't really understand it)
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Mike-
>>> --
>>> If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
>>> --
>>> Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed
>>> site-wide spam filters at catherders.com.  If email from you bounces,
>>> try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments,
>>>

>> If you're using the PDFinfo plugin, you should see a rule called
>> GMD_PDF_EMPTY_BODY on those spams - it should fire on any message
>> containing a PDF and a blank body. Obviously you can modify that rule's score
>> if you want to make it higher, or meta it with other
>> rules. Also make sure you're using the latest version of the plugin and the
>> associated .cf file from
>> www.rulesemporium.com/plugins.htm.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jeremy
>>

> --
> If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
> --
> Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed
> site-wide spam filters at catherders.com.  If email from you bounces,
> try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments,

--
Mike Yrabedra B^)>

Re: A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

Posted by Michael W Cocke <co...@catherders.com>.

Posted by Diego Pomatta <in...@abelsonsa.com.ar>.
Jeremy Fairbrass escribió:
> If you're using the PDFinfo plugin, you should see a rule called GMD_PDF_EMPTY_BODY on those spams - it should fire on any message
> containing a PDF and a blank body. Obviously you can modify that rule's score if you want to make it higher, or meta it with other
> rules. Also make sure you're using the latest version of the plugin and the associated .cf file from
> www.rulesemporium.com/plugins.htm.
>
> Cheers,
> Jeremy

What about GMD_PDF_NO_TXT that comes disabled by default and was already
present in at least PDFInfo 0.4 ?

body          GMD_PDF_NO_TXT
eval:pdf_image_to_text_ratio(0.000, 0.005)
describe      GMD_PDF_NO_TXT          Low rawbody to pixel area ratio
score         GMD_PDF_NO_TXT          0.75
counts        GMD_PDF_NO_TXT          64s/3h of 10615 corpus
(5652s/4963h AxB) 06/25/07

Re: A rule for empty body and pdf attachment??

Posted by Jeremy Fairbrass <jf...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 04:15:21AM -0400, Michael W Cocke wrote:
> These blasted PDF spams are driving me mad!  Any ideas for a rule that
> would trip if there's no text in the body, just a PDF attachment ?

run sa-update.  There's been a rule in the channel for a while now.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"It's a good cause... Cause it's good...?"      - Hardcore TV