Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net> on 2012/02/01 19:18:22 UTC

Re: Junit 3.8.2 download?

Kristian Waagan wrote:
> On 28.01.2012 17:43, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> I'm having trouble finding a way to download JUnit 3.8 from the
>> http://junit.org site.
>>
>> JUnit seems to have moved entirely on to their version 4 software, and
>> the version 3
>> software seems to have been removed from the main download locations?
>>
>> Am I misreading the site?
>>
>> If not, is this going to pose a problem for ongoing Derby development?
>> Will the Derby
>> unit tests need to migrate to JUnit 4?
>
> As you have noted, we do grab JUnit 3.8.2 as part of the build (from
> build.xml):
> <property name="junit.url"
> value="http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/junit/junit/3.8.2/junit-3.8.2.jar"/>
> <target name="install_junit" depends="junit_check" unless="junit.exists"
> description="installs junit.jar into derby">
> <get src="${junit.url}" dest="${basedir}/tools/java/junit.jar"
> verbose="true" ignoreerrors="true"/>
> </target>
>
> JUnit 3 is pretty much deprecated by now, but I don't think the Derby
> community have any problems with it that require a new version to be built.
> That said, we should move on to JUnit 4. Now that we require Java SE
> 5.0, we can also use annotations. This may simplify the test development
> somewhat, the downside is the community as a whole has no experience
> with this feature.
>
> A first step moving forward would be to see if we can simply use JUnit 4
> as a drop-in replacement for JUnit 3.8.2 by now.
> This work is tracked by DERBY-4726 [1].
>

> Regards,
If at all possible I would like to be able to backport tests to past
branches, so would like to understand the compatibility issue if we move
to junit4.  Would we now be writing tests that possibly won't run in
previous releases of derby.

What will use of junit 4 and annotatioms mean for testing on the jsr169
platform (phoneME, weme6.2)?