Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by slartybartfast <ss...@nycap.rr.com> on 2008/09/28 14:39:56 UTC

[users@httpd] PDO install kills webserver

I'm trying to set up a server (on Ubuntu Hardy Heron) with SSH, Apache2, PHP
5.2.x, Ruby, ProFtpd, and PostgreSQL 8.3, and want to use PDO.  I set up
everything but the PDO, and all works beautifully - very pleased with myself
as I've never touched Linux before.  Then I try to set up PDO, and I plummet
to earth with a thud.

I run:
pecl install pdo
pecl install pdo_pgsql

I add to php.ini:
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_pgsql.so

then restart apache:
/etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

and I get the message
httpd (no pid file) not running

and from that point on I could not browse to my webserver, got...
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.100.

Never had that error before until I installed PDO, and was able to get a
connection.  So I rebuilt the server from bottom up, documenting every step,
and again all was working until I installed PDO and changed the php.ini file
-- then Apache (or something) breaks.

Please help -- I'm baffled

Re: [users@httpd] PDO install kills webserver

Posted by slartybartfast <ss...@nycap.rr.com>.
Thanks to those who responded, hope this answers your combined questions...

[Sun Sep 28 07:55:57 2008] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/lib/apache2/suexec)
/usr/sbin/apache2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/php5/20060613/pdo_mysql.so:
undefined symbol: php_pdo_get_dbh_ce

The above is from my apache2 error.log.  As a newbie (and fairly clueless),
this doesn't mean much to me, however I see it does mention pdo_mysql, which
is strange because I don't have MySQL on the machine (I use PostgreSQL), and
pdo_mysql is not referenced in the php.ini file.

I've tried removing pdo_pgsql from php.ini and removing the PDO package in
an attempt to recover, but it still fails -- seems unrecovereable once it
happens.  I have also posted on php boards.

Hope this sheds some light....

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.
slartybartfast wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a server (on Ubuntu Hardy Heron) with SSH, Apache2, PHP
> 5.2.x, Ruby, ProFtpd, and PostgreSQL 8.3, and want to use PDO.  I set up
> everything but the PDO, and all works beautifully - very pleased with myself
> as I've never touched Linux before.  Then I try to set up PDO, and I plummet
> to earth with a thud.
>
> I run:
> pecl install pdo
> pecl install pdo_pgsql
>
> I add to php.ini:
> extension=pdo.so
> extension=pdo_pgsql.so
>
> then restart apache:
> /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
> /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
>
> and I get the message
> httpd (no pid file) not running
>
> and from that point on I could not browse to my webserver, got...
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.100.
>
> Never had that error before until I installed PDO, and was able to get a
> connection.  So I rebuilt the server from bottom up, documenting every step,
> and again all was working until I installed PDO and changed the php.ini file
> -- then Apache (or something) breaks.

Try asking on the PHP lists - I have no doubt that pdo_pgsql.so is the
problem, so simply disabling that line in php.ini should then allow apache to
start. It is failing probably because something is not set right on the link
between pdo_pgsql and pastgres but we would need a little more detail to
establish the setup of these.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] PDO install kills webserver

Posted by slartybartfast <ss...@nycap.rr.com>.
As a newbie, I'm sorta clueless, but I did manage to rummage around and find
this in my apache2 error.log

[Sun Sep 28 07:55:57 2008] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/lib/apache2/suexec)
/usr/sbin/apache2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/php5/20060613/pdo_mysql.so:
undefined symbol: php_pdo_get_dbh_ce

Don't know what it means, but it references pdo_mysql.  I don't have MySQL
on the machine (I'm using PostgreSQL), and there's no reference to pdo_mysql
in php.ini.  I do reference pdo_pgsql in php.ini, but even when I remove
that line, and remove PDO, I still can't connect -- situation seems
unrecoverable.

Hopes this sheds some light....

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.