Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2002/10/28 08:24:07 UTC

New download page up on daedalus

Well, I came back from watching the World Series (woo-hoo! Go
Angels!) and I figured that I could just tidy up a bit on the mirror
download page that I posted earlier.  All of the relevant bits are
now checked in, and I'm now reasonably comfortable with the results
(saw 2 +1s, so it seems okay for now).

So, I've switched the httpd.apache.org 'download from a mirror' site
to link to this new page:

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Much thanks to Joshua for the initial thrust.  =-)

For those that are interested, that link is really a rendering of
download.html that has been run through EZT and the python
mirrors.cgi script.  Therefore, any content changes to that page
should be made to download.xml and then propogated back to
download.html (by anakia) where EZT will then pick it up.  In short,
treat download.xml as the definitive content...  Hope that makes
sense to anyone who'd have to maintain it.

If the system doesn't manage to blow itself up after a few days, I
think it'd be a good idea to remove the 'from here' link as well, but
I'd prefer to leave a well-marked escape hatch for now.  -- justin

Re: New download page up on daedalus

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 11:24:07PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> If the system doesn't manage to blow itself up after a few days, I
> think it'd be a good idea to remove the 'from here' link as well, but
> I'd prefer to leave a well-marked escape hatch for now.  -- justin

I probably missed something in how your script works, but don't
we still want the "from here" link for people who are using an
explicit mirror url? That's the lazy link I use from my mirror's
front page so that I can dig into the download pages.

-aaron

Re: New download page up on daedalus

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> If the system doesn't manage to blow itself up after a few days, I think
> it'd be a good idea to remove the 'from here' link as well, but I'd
> prefer to leave a well-marked escape hatch for now.  -- justin

Yes.  And even more importantly, change the links towards the bottom of
index.xml to point to download.cgi.

In the end, there should be no direct links to /dist/httpd.  That
directory is linked from download.cgi, so those who want it can still
get to it.  They just need to go one extra step.

Thanks for the good work Justin.

Joshua.