Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2018/10/11 08:41:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move the sling hc project to felix and merge with systemready

Sling health checks (hc) provide a framework to continually check the
system health of an OSGi system.
The result of the individual checks is grouped by labels and can be
retrieved using JMX and a servlet.
( https://github.com/apache?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=sling-hc&type=&language= )

The sling community discussed to offer to move this project to felix. (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d42c2064bf98d10b4f9b5d424384e2e83993e41613e643de944c7c35@%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
)
By having sling hc in felix I hope this framework can reach a larger
audience than in sling.
Georg Henzler took care of changing the package names and removing
dependencies from other sling modules. He provided a zip file with a
possible initial contribution in this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5952

There is quite some overlap with felix system ready. So if we accept the
offer then we also have to look into merging the two frameworks. I think at
least for long term we should not keep both. As far as I learned the Sling
HC API can cover most of the features of the systemready framework api. As
sling hc is a lot more mature and battle proven I can imagine to move to
this basic framework and change the system ready checks to this API.

So what do you think?

Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the sling hc project to felix and merge with systemready

Posted by fe...@ghenzler.de.
Hi all,

since I proposed it, obviously I think it would be great to make the
move!
(for exactly the reasons as stated in the description of FELIX-5952 [1])

>> > I think the move is a great idea but I also think a transition plan
>> > needs to be discussed on the Sling side before proceeding.

My idea was
* a clear migration path for SPI-implementers
* and (at least temporary) support for Sling HC API in the Felix Health
Checks Executor runtime, see [2]

> FWIW, we don't typically have an issue with making people that want to
> continue maintaining contributions as committers.

This is great to hear, as mentioned [3], I would like to keep
maintaining the module (together with others that are interested).

-Georg

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5952

[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7699fca2bf11cb00b4f8ce2a4ffdcb1e4aa0b1d3fe6fc9705818dbb2@%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5952?focusedCommentId=16643281&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16643281

[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5952?focusedCommentId=16644915&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16644915

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the sling hc project to felix and merge with systemready

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:37 AM Christian Schneider
<ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:

> The idea was to first get feedback from felix if the donation would be
> accepted at all.
> Then I propose we try to come to a final conclusion in sling dev which
> includes a migration plan.

I think it makes at least some sense to discuss it at felix at this
point because it wouldn't make much sense for Sling to vote on it
without knowing if there is interest.

> About access of sling committers to felix. This is a good question. Maybe a
> first thing we could ask on the sling side is who would be especially
> interested in maintaining the hc module at felix. Georg already volunteered
> but I think this does not have to be limited to him.
> Then of course we need to ask the felix PMC about giving access to those
> people.

FWIW, we don't typically have an issue with making people that want to
continue maintaining contributions as committers.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the sling hc project to felix and merge with systemready

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Georg,

sorry, you are right - I dropped the ball on this one. I'll start a
new discussion summarising the situation and try to get it to a vote
soon.

Thanks for reminding me.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Move the sling hc project to felix and merge with systemready

Posted by Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Andrei Dulvac <du...@apache.org>.
+1