Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by brunp <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/09 14:57:37 UTC

Portlet shows up "blank", no content

A portlet that worked in Jetspeed 2.0 shows up blank in Jetspeed 2.1.3. Any
idea's on how I can debug this problem?

Paul

Re: Portlet shows up "blank", no content

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.
I do realize I have to set up my logging, and I ahve followed the
instructions, but I can't seem to produce any logs based on the
Log4j.properties file. Nothing I do in that file seems to cause the logs to
be produced....

The portlet in question is not a true portlet, but a wrapper around an
independent page that can be run on its own. Jetspeed seems to only be used
to synchronize the login sessions between the difference applications that
exist under the product umbrella. These pages are not "true" portlets.

> When the portal starts, do you see the portlet's webapp being  initialized
> correctly?
> This should show up in Tomcat's log. In what webapp is the errant portlet
> included?
> How do you have webapps with no war files? Can you post the evidence that
> you have
> that  the appropriate methods  are being called in the portlet. Can you
> log the result
> being returned to see what html is being generated.

I don't know if I can answer your question pertaining to the WAR files, but
the portlet app is
initialized based on the JetspeedContainerServlet code. I think I answered
some of the others
indirectly in the first paragraph.

My first step is to figure out why the logs are not produced in
${applicationRoot}/logs/

Thanks

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
brunp wrote:
> OK......I appreciate the effort in trying to get answers, but I am also very
> new to the entire Jetspeed process.
>
> -> Does the portlet show up in the portlet selector?
>
> There is no portlet selector in our system. The Jetspeed distribution is
> pretty much the core (i.e., no additional libraries/pages beyond the
> absolute minimum
>
> --> Can you install it on a portal page without an exception being thrown?
>
> I can not simply add a portal and see if it is installed correctly. Jetspeed
> is part of a much larger product in which Jetspeed is simply a means to
> incorporate pages from another website locations. I don't have the source
> for those pages, just links to the webapp locations within Tomcat.

You can add a page that only includes the portlet in question. It does
not require any other portlets and does not affect the rest of the portal.
> --> When you first bring up the page (after refreshing the .war file), do
> you see any messages going past on the console? At minimum I would expect a
> "myapp.war installed successfully" or similar.
>
> Nothing shows up in the console, and as there are no "WAR" files, nothing
> really shows up. I do see the JAVA code within the Webapp being executed,
> but the content does not show up....

When the portal starts, do you see the portlet's webapp being
initialized correctly? This should show up in Tomcat's log.
In what webapp is the errant portlet included?
How do you have webapps with no war files?
Can you post the evidence that you have that  the appropriate methods
are being called in the portlet.
Can you log the result being returned to see what html is being generated.

> -->Do you see the JSP(s) being compiled in the Tomcat /work directory?
>

> The JSP's are pre-compiled @ build time.....

Not true.

Stop Tomcat, clear the /work directory and then see what shows up.
> As for logs, this is another issue because no logs are produced based on the
> Log4j.properties. No matter what I do and how I configure the properties
> files, no logs are produced to: ${applicationRoot}/logs. I do see
> JetspeedContainerServlet logs from within the tomcat logging infrastructure,
> but nothing there indicates there is an issue or exception.

You need to get your logging setup so that you can debug.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.
yes.....there was really nothing to convert from the former database to the
new database. I just used the new SQL creation files that came with the
download and used them to generate the database on install since there is no
upgrade path in our product....

Paul

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

brunp wrote:
> I am unfortunately unable to post any file sets or code because this is part
> of a product line that is yet to be released. What real evidence am I
> supposed to look at here?
>
> As for conversion.....all I did was update the Jetspeed binaries from 2.0 to
> 2.1.3. The migration to Jetspeed 2.1.3 also seems to mess up some of the
> styling too.....not sure why, but it does for some reason.....even in the
> same browser, but that is relatively easy to fix.....
>
> Paul
>

> ronatartifact wrote:
>
>> see below.
>>
>> brunp wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your input guys, but I have to say, there is no Portlet
>>> selector
>>> in the install base. The previous instance of Jetspeed 2.0 was just the
>>> binaries. It was a custom install as part of a larger product
>>> distribution
>>> and
>>> to reduce disk space usage, all the unnecessary elements and I assume the
>>> jetspeed admin interface was stripped from the distribution. I am just
>>> stipulating
>>> what I know at this point in time.
>>>
>>> The portlet in question does have a portlet.xml file and I have no idea
>>> if
>>> the application follows JSR 168 specification as I didn't create it
>>> myself.
>>> As I
>>> had mentioned, the pages work on their own, but when absorbed within the
>>> jetspeed collective, it doesn't.
>>>
>>> I wish I can say more.....I wish I knew more....but I have been stuck
>>> with
>>> this

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
see below.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eva Petro <ep...@xtra.co.nz>.
Hi Paul

>>There is no portlet selector in our system. The Jetspeed distribution is
>>pretty much the core (i.e., no additional libraries/pages beyond the
>>absolute minimum

In my experience, it is pretty much impossible to install Jetspeed 2.1.3
without the portal selector. The minimal installation includes it, as it is
an essential tool.

 - Log in as admin
 - Select the modify page icon
 - Click "Add portlet"

That will put you in the portlet selector. Portlets that are properly
configured and ready for use will show up in this screen. To add a portlet,
click on the Add link for the portlet. You can add one or more instances to

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
brunp wrote:
> this is part of a product in which we upgraded to 2.1.3 just about a month
> ago, so unfortunately, this is where we are at and the Jetspeed deployment
> is a little unorthodox because the traditional portlet admin interfaces are
> not installed, therefore, can't see the portlet selector, and there are no
> "WAR" files. They are all JSP's.
>
> The problem is that it used to work in Jetspeed 2.0 and then we migrated.
> For the last question, there is no HTML source rendered within the Portlet
> itself. I am also not sure if I can start anything in debug mode at all....
>
> I unfortunately took over this development and am unfortunately stuck as the
> traditional forms of debugging are not available to me......

The questions below may or may not be "traditional" but they are a good
place to start.
Answer each one of the questions in your next post with actual evidence
if you can copy and paste it.
I am curious as to why you have no war files but that does not affect
too much.
You seem to be unwilling to provide very much in the way of facts.
That makes it a bit hard to figure out what you are doing wrong.
If a portlet is not doing what it is supposed to do or not being called,
someone should should be putting something in a log.
If your code is not writing debugging messages in a log, you should add
some.

There are some smart people here and your problem is not likely to be
too hard to fix.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Rossi <ro...@cone.it>.

Posted by brunp <pa...@gmail.com>.

brunp wrote:

> A portlet that worked in Jetspeed 2.0 shows up blank in Jetspeed 2.1.3.
> Any idea's on how I can debug this problem?
>
> Paul

No hints?