Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Loran Kary <lo...@mac.com> on 2007/07/07 02:22:31 UTC

Severe : Exception. Cannot Load Font. No font URI's available.

I need to be able to use some fonts other than the Base 14 in the
PDF's I generate.

I have created some font metrics files with TTFReader and in the
configuration file I specify the font metrics files and the font
triplets.

If I specify an "embed-url" with the path of the font ttf file, this
seems to work.  But I don't want to have to embed the fonts in the
PDF file because they are already installed on my Mac OS X system.  I
just want to reference those fonts in the PDF file.

Since I have supplied FOP with the font metrics and the font
triplets, I would expect that FOP has everything it needs to use
those fonts in the PDF.

But without embedding the font, I get the severe exception, cannot
load font, and no PDF output.

This is with FOP 0.93 and I understand there may be some known
problems in this area.  Can anyone tell me more?

Thanks,
Loran Kary

Re: Severe : Exception. Cannot Load Font. No font URI's available.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Just some details on what is currently possible and what not (for PDF
output):

Type 1: embedded or referenced, WinAnsi only
TrueType:
  - embedded subset, CID (default mode)
  - embedded WinAnsi (full font is embedded 1:1, no subset)
  - referenced WinAnsi (works, but is restricted to WinAnsi)
  - referenced subset, CID (no errors by FOP, but Acrobat throws errors)

One thing that might be worth investigating is referencing a font and
using Unicode characters directly (i.e. not the subset mode). I think
that should be possible.

I think the embed="false" setting could be interesting, especially for
PostScript output where you usually have the fonts installed on the
target printer so you can make smaller print files. For PDF, this is
only interesting for closed environments where you have full control
over the installed fonts on every system.

I don't think we need to change embed-url just now. If there's a better
name for specifying the main font file (not all fonts have just one font
file), then we can always support both for a longer period, right?

On 13.07.2007 16:04:59 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> > As far as I can judge, /if/ the names of embedded fonts forcibly need
> > to be altered because they would be overridden by local fonts in the
> > PDF viewer, then it could turn out to be pretty simple --for someone
> > who knows what he's doing :/
> > Leave the font-family name alone, and modify related classes in
> > org.apache.fop.pdf to skip the step of actually embedding the font,  if
> > the configuration did not specify an embed-uri.
>
> I envisage a minor problem with omitting the embed-url. Currently FOP
> uses that to generate metrics on the fly. So it seems Font Referencing
> and auto metrics generation are mutually exclusive :-/
>
> What we need is to be able to change the attributes on font element, so
> that there is an explicit attribute that specifies whether embedding is
> on/off instead of overloading embed-url to do 2 functions. Something
> like this:

> Although changing configuration files in a backwards incompatible way is
> not likely to be popular with the users!
>
> Chris

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Severe : Exception. Cannot Load Font. No font URI's available.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Although changing configuration files in a backwards incompatible way is
> not likely to be popular with the users!

Given that not embedding fonts never really worked (except for
fonts specifically installed using the Acrobat font manager),
there is not really an incompatibility.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Severe : Exception. Cannot Load Font. No font URI's available.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Jul 12, 2007, at 21:00, Loran Kary wrote:

> I would imagine that support for additional fonts beyond the Base14
> would be pretty fundamental to PDF formatting and therefore if it
> isn't fully implemented there must be a pretty good reason.

What I do seem to remember is that, when you use embedding, FOP
generates a random suffix to the font-family name, precisely so the
embedded font-name can practically never clash with a system font-
name that would happen to be present on the system where the PDF is
viewed.

> But if there is not much that needs to be done and it's just
> waiting for someone with some motivation to do it, that would be
> interesting to know.

As far as I can judge, /if/ the names of embedded fonts forcibly need
to be altered because they would be overridden by local fonts in the
PDF viewer, then it could turn out to be pretty simple --for someone
who knows what he's doing :/
Leave the font-family name alone, and modify related classes in
org.apache.fop.pdf to skip the step of actually embedding the font,
if the configuration did not specify an embed-uri.

Little extra /code/ needed, IIC.

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Severe : Exception. Cannot Load Font. No font URI's available.

Posted by Loran Kary <lo...@mac.com>.
Thanks Andreas,

I got a brief and vague response on the users group that left me
wanting more information.  Whether or not I could contribute to a
potential solution, and that is a possibility, would depend on
whether the work involved would be major or minor.  So I am trying to
get some sense.

I would imagine that support for additional fonts beyond the Base14
would be pretty fundamental to PDF formatting and therefore if it
isn't fully implemented there must be a pretty good reason.  But if

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Loran Kary <lo...@mac.com>.
Perhaps I am posting this question on the wrong list or perhaps my
question has been asked and answered before.

But to state my question again, why is it not sufficient to supply
FOP with a font metrics file and the font triplets in the
configuration file?  Why does it seem that FOP needs to be able to
open and load the font file itself?  Is that the intended behavior or
is it a problem that could potentially be addressed?   Is there
something I could be doing that would make FOP work with fonts other
than the Base14 and without embedding the font?  OK, that's more than
one question.

Thanks,
Loran Kary