Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr> on 2003/07/08 11:15:03 UTC

ChartTransformer, endorsed libs, Tomcat

Hi all !

I'm trying to port my project based on Cocoon M3 from
Window/JDK1.4.1/Embedded Jetty to Linux/JDK 1.4.1/Apache 2.0.46/Tomcat
4.1.24
I'm having some problems I didn't have with Jetty, concerning the
ChartTransformer. All seems to work fine.

I'm using the default xsltc transformer. Tomcat has the following libs
in common/endorsed :
xalan-2.4.1.jar  xercesImpl-2.1.0.jar  xml-apis.jar  xsltc-20030211.jar
The new libs from M3 don't seem to works, neither with no libs...

Is there still some problems with the endorsed libs with this version of
tomcat ?
Must I copy the endorsed libs in an endorsed folder of the JDK ?

Thanks in advance !

--
Olivier BILLARD
Société Jouve

[Solved] ChartTransformer, endorsed libs, Tomcat

Posted by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr>.
Thanks for all to answer this thread :) !

This pb came from 2 buggy components :

1 ) The jfreechart library uses some display features linked to the OS :
jar compiled in windows doesn't work in Unix OSes, but jar compiled in
Unix works in Windows.
this solved the graphic generation.

2) But I got a second issue : stats generated didn't care about
population in each category : if I have 4 resources in state "pending"
and just 1 in state "published", a pie chart by state displayed 50% for
each category. Once again, I changed the default "xslt" transformer to
"xalan" when generating the xml feeding the chart transformer, it worked...

I hope this will help users.
In the future, I think I will always try to change to xalan transformer
to see if it works...

--
Olivier

Re: ChartTransformer, endorsed libs, Tomcat

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Yury Mikhienko wrote:

>>2. Be sure, that in TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed are *exactly the same*
>>libraries as in COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib. And this does only work if you
>>use the default startup scripts delivered with TOMCAT. If you don't use
>>them you have to add
>>-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/your/path/to/the/endorsed/libs when starting the
>>Java process. This is the option TOMCAT sets in its start scripts to
>>TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed.
>>If you switch between Xalan/Xerces versions you must exchange the
>>libraries both in TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed and COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib.
>>

> Why I must do it? I use Tomcat as servlet container for all servlets, not for Cocoon only.
> And all works fine, if I set in web.xml CocoonParanoidServlet instead of the CocoonServlet, but after this
> I can not make interaction between the Cocoon (in Paranoid mode) and other servlets in Tomcat.

>>6. The stacktrace is typical for endorsed libs problem - and often seen.
>
> I think, Cocoon2.1 is still  crude :(((
> In my opinion the Cocoon2.0.4 at most stable version of Cocoon for this time.

This is a misguided statement and needs to be corrected:

This problem exists with Cocoon 2.0.x the same as 2.1 because it has
nothing to do with Cocoon.  The "problem" is entirely related to two
things:
	- the servlet container's classloading (in this case, tomcat)
	- the outdated xml libraries shipped with JDK 1.4

Note that because it is implemented differently, Jetty does not have
this problem.

- Does updating the JDK's endorsed libs cause problems in your other
webapps?  I doubt it, but if so, they need attention anyway.  At some
point we can assume that the JDK will ship with updated xml libs.
- What specific problems are you encountering with ParanoidServlet and
other servlets in Tomcat?

Geoff Howard

Re: ChartTransformer, endorsed libs, Tomcat

Posted by Yury Mikhienko <Yu...@mobicomk.ru>.
Many thanks for you answering.
I  agree, but

> You both seem to have strange problems with those XML libraries which I
> don't have in general.
>
> 1. JDK 1.3 can't cause any problems in theory because it does not
> provide any XML library. If you have problems, something else must be
> the reason.

You are right.

> 2. Be sure, that in TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed are *exactly the same*
> libraries as in COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib. And this does only work if you
> use the default startup scripts delivered with TOMCAT. If you don't use
> them you have to add
> -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/your/path/to/the/endorsed/libs when starting the
> Java process. This is the option TOMCAT sets in its start scripts to
> TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed.
> If you switch between Xalan/Xerces versions you must exchange the
> libraries both in TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed and COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib.

Why I must do it? I use Tomcat as servlet container for all servlets, not for Cocoon only.
And all works fine, if I set in web.xml CocoonParanoidServlet instead of the CocoonServlet, but after this
I can not make interaction between the Cocoon (in Paranoid mode) and other servlets in Tomcat.

> 3. Test if you really use the XML libraries you think, use Xalan's
> environment check for it:
> http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#faq-N1005C. Try the stylesheet,
> it's easier. Of course you must use Xalan for it, not XSLTC. XSLTC does
> not support Xalan extension function which is used for the environment
> check.

for additional,  XSLTC does not support XPath perfectly (in my opinion).

> 4. The hardest test for XSLT processors I know are the DocBook
> stylesheets. If a Xalan version works with those stylesheets it's
> /approved/. ;-) I don't see a difference between both (using Xalan, not
> XSLTC), both have a bug with the auto index generation. But of course if
> you use any specific thing that has changed between both versions, it's
> possible that 2.5.1 has problems that 2.4.1 does not have. But for most
> use cases it works, so Cocoon uses the most recent ones. If you have a
> specific problem, then you must switch back to the old version in your
> installation; we can't force all users to switch back. Furthermore this
> helps the Xalan team to fix recent bugs. If you think you know of one,
> post it at bugzilla.

Old version of Xalan and Xerces make the works of Cocoon-2.1m3 is very very hard and time of time I get the strange exceptions (OutOfMemory error, for example)

--

Best regards,
Yury Mikhienko.

Re: ChartTransformer, endorsed libs, Tomcat

Posted by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr>.
Hi Joerg,

Thanks for the tips, but I think problems could come from a lot of
reasons with this pb.
In fact, with a Window2000, minimal Cocoon M3 build, and J2SDK 1.3.1,
the welcome page of Cocoon didn't appear with default xsltc transformer,
and it worked with "xalan" transformer...
I didn't read the welcome.xsl stylesheet, but I'm not sure it uses
advanced XSL features ;) ....
We used standard Tomcat run scripts and copied endorsed libs in
common/endorsed of Tomcat...
But we didn't had time to investigate more on the issue, so we let it
run with the "xalan" transformer.

Anyway, thanks very much for answering !

--
Olivier

AW: Using internal reader pipeline to generate stream

Posted by Marco Rolappe <m_...@web.de>.
hi mathias,

see below

try the following instead:

	<map:match pattern="om/**.xml">
		<map:generate src="cocoon://{0}"/>

		<map:serialize type="xml"/>
	</map:match

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr>.

Yury Mikhienko wrote:

> [...]
>>Mail : obillard@rennes.jouve.fr
>>
>>Le prИsent mail ainsi que toutes les informations qu'il contient ne peuvent en aucun cas Йtre considИrИs comme un engagement juridique de quelque nature que ce soit de JOUVE. Tout accord devra Йtre formulИ par Иcrit papier ultИrieur signИ par un reprИsentant lИgal de JOUVE. Par ailleurs, si vous recevez ce mail par erreur, merci de nous le signaler et de le dИtruire ainsi que l'intИgralitИ du document qui pourrait y Йtre joint.
>>
>>The present email and all information included therein do not constitute a legal agreement accorded by Jouve. All legal agreements must be formulated in writing on paper by a legal representative of JOUVE. If you have received this email by mistake, please inform us of that fact and destroy the email and any documents it might contain. Thank you for your cooperation.

Olivier BILLARD
Socie'te' Jouve
Tel  : 33 2 99 86 93 55
Mail : obillard@rennes.jouve.fr

Le pre'sent mail ainsi que toutes les informations qu'il contient ne peuvent en aucun cas e^tre conside're's comme un engagement juridique de quelque nature que ce soit de JOUVE. Tout accord devra e^tre formule' par e'crit papier ulte'rieur signe' par un repre'sentant le'gal de JOUVE. Par ailleurs, si vous recevez ce mail par erreur, merci de nous le signaler et de le de'truire ainsi que l'inte'gralite' du document qui pourrait y e^tre joint.

Posted by Yury Mikhienko <Yu...@mobicomk.ru>.

Posted by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr>.

Yury Mikhienko wrote:

> [...]
>>the same libs in the endorsed folder.
>>
>>The webapps are strictly the sames in the 2 PCs.

>>>If you put those to Tomcat you should use the same libs in Cocoon. The
>>>endorsed libs and the libs used in Cocoon should always be the same.
>>>Otherwise there is the risk of getting ClassCastExceptions or strange
>>>messages.
>>>

>>I didn't take this into account. Thanks. But it seem to work, and only
>>in this case...

>>>This problem will remain until the XML libs are removed from JDK - and
>>>I guess this will never happen. And not only with Tomcat but all
>>>environments processing XML.
>>>

>>Gasp...

>>>No. Setting the java.endorsed.dirs property is enough. And exactly
>>>this Tomcat is doing in its start scripts.
>>>

>>Ok.
>>The app on the server is going to be tested, so I'll try to investigate

Olivier BILLARD
Société Jouve
Tel  : 33 2 99 86 93 55
Mail : obillard@rennes.jouve.fr

Le présent mail ainsi que toutes les informations qu'il contient ne peuvent en aucun cas être considérés comme un engagement juridique de quelque nature que ce soit de JOUVE. Tout accord devra être formulé par écrit papier ultérieur signé par un représentant légal de JOUVE. Par ailleurs, si vous recevez ce mail par erreur, merci de nous le signaler et de le détruire ainsi que l'intégralité du document qui pourrait y être joint.

Posted by Yury Mikhienko <Yu...@mobicomk.ru>.

Posted by Olivier Billard <ob...@rennes.jouve.fr>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.