Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Heeg, Michael" <He...@fev.de> on 2004/05/06 10:45:24 UTC

DOMParser vs. DOMBuider and external Schemas

Hi,

up to now I worked with the class DOMBuilder to validate my XML files
against a Schema. Up to now, the XML instance files contained a reference to
the schema, everything worked fine. Now I want to validate these files
against an external Schema (defined by method call), and here the problem
starts:

1) On page http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/schema.html there is an
easy-to-understand example for parsing instance documents with external
schemas. But: here the class DOMParser is used, and not DOMBuilder. Is it
possible to validate an instance document with an external schema also with
DOMBuilder? If yes, how?

2) I think this is an absolutely newbie question: What is the difference
between DOMParser and DOMBuilder? The documentation of Xerces-C API says:
"DOMBuilder provides an API for parsing XML documents and building the
corresponding DOM document tree." So DOMBuilder is a parser, too, isn't it?

Thanks for your help,
Michael