Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Davanzo Luca <Lu...@INSIEL.IT> on 2000/01/21 10:03:02 UTC

Icu library /binary) for win32

If I understand correctly the documentation for xerces-c 1.0.0.d01 for win32
systems, it is stated that there is not built-in parsing for ISO-8859-1
caracters; infact i get errors if I try to parse with a DOMParser these
characters; however in the FAQ you state that in the binary drop there is a
/bin/icu/data containing the necessary.cnv files; however I can not find
such a directory, neither the .cnv files, neither dhe icu.dll library.

Where can I find these files? how do I install them? once installed, is it
necessary to recompile or modify my existing   programs?

Re: Icu library /binary) for win32

Posted by Andy Heninger <he...@us.ibm.com>.
Davanzo Luca <Lu...@INSIEL.IT> asks

> If I understand correctly the documentation for xerces-c 1.0.0.d01 for
win32
> systems, it is stated that there is not built-in parsing for ISO-8859-1
> caracters; infact i get errors if I try to parse with a DOMParser these
> characters; however in the FAQ you state that in the binary drop there is
> /bin/icu/data containing the necessary.cnv files; however I can not find
> such a directory, neither the .cnv files, neither dhe icu.dll library.
>
> Where can I find these files? how do I install them? once installed, is it
> necessary to recompile or modify my existing   programs?

ICU is an open source project, although it is hosted by IBM Developer Works
rather than Apache.  See
http://www10.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/icu/project/index.html
for more information and downloads.

Xerces 1.0.* does not include built-in handling for ISO-8859-1, meaning that
ICU is required for XML documents with this encoding.   Xerces 1.1 does
handle this encoding without requiring an additional transcoding service
such as ICU.

In general, you will need to recompile your applications when switching to a
different version of Xerces, such as when moving from 1.0.1 to 1.1.

The prebuilt Xerces libraries that are distributed from the Apache web site
do not use ICU.  Configuring the parser to use ICU requires a rebuild of
Xerces itself.  Everything is set up though, it's just a matter of a single
build option.  Prebuilt versions of Xerces with ICU are available from IBM
at http://alphaworks.ibm.com

  -- Andy