Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de> on 2020/03/11 10:53:05 UTC

[LAZY][VOTE] Turbine Archetypes version upgrade due to coming up of new Torque, Turbine versions

Hi Turbine dev community,

I propose this as lazy vote. My questions and proposals are about
realigning the current trunks across projects and subprojects, i.e. Torque
and Turbine/Fulcrum with Turbine Archetype.
- Turbine Core and Fulcrum Security Torque now depend on the current
Torque Trunk version, which is 4.1 (but may be promoted to 5.0).
- Turbine Archetypes is in mixed mode. Master branch (v. 1.1.3-SNAPSHOT)
still depends on Turbine 5.0, which is released, the docker branch has
already Turbine 5.1, which means transitively Torque trunk/4.1.

My expectation is, that Torque will be released soon (in the next months)
and this will be the new default. If nobody requires an archetype for the
current Turbine 5.0 version, the main development focus naturally will be
on the new version.

The questions are:
- Should we release still Turbine Archetypes 1.1.3 (based on turbine 5.0)
or just skip this and upgrade the master to Turbine 5.1 and set version to
2.0.0 ?
- If we decide to skip, should we merge the docker branch to the master to
get this done faster, as the docker branch already depends on Turbine
5.1/Torque 4.1 ?
- The configuration of the docker (compose) based version and the
currently host -based master is similar, although some steps are required
to switch from one to the other, and we could only provide one default. If
we decide to merge docker, should it be the default or the host-based
installation?

My own proposed answers to these questions are:
- Upgrade Turbine Archetypes master to version 2.0.0 and Turbine 5.1.
- Merge docker branch.
- Make Docker the default (or change it later). This may be changed later,
but will be of course after the merge initially by default the docker
environment.
This is based on the assumptions, that the Turbine archetype is important
as a tool during developing. Of course it should/could be used to get
rapidly an Turbine-environment, but apparently demand is not discernable,
although this might be true in the future and then an up-to-date version
will be, what is required/desired.

If the opinions are we should NOT skip the current Turbine Archetype
v.1.1.3 it should IMO be released as soon as possible, as it is "in delay"
for about a while. If nobody volunteers, I might do it, but may need some
help/support.

Thanks!

Best regards, Georg

Re: [LAZY][VOTE] Turbine Archetypes version upgrade due to coming up of new Torque, Turbine versions

Posted by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
Hi all again,
after some reconsiderations I would suggest to release first the current
version 1.0.3 now.
This will give us some more experience about, how to release in git and we
have at least released the last SNAPSHOT (reading in the logs I realized
we omitted already the prevoius SNAPSHOT release).
I will set the next version to 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and probalby after the
release is done integrating the docker branch will be done.
Hope all agree with this more common and usual process ..

Best regards, Georg