Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu> on 2009/01/30 12:57:41 UTC

Feature freeze date?

I'm curious if there is any set feature freeze dates? If not, how about
setting one for end of February?

Even though the active developers and hardcore users might not have a
need for a release I think it makes a huge difference for new users who
just want to go to the site, download a tarfile and be on their merry
way. Always getting the latest from trunk might lead to
incompatibilities and if unlucky the user might get a buggy revision.
Having a proper release also makes it easier to get Thrift into other
projects.

Had a quick look at the wiki and can't find a release procedure, but a
rough idea would be to announce a freeze date to the list. On that date
move all the non critical issues in jira to the next version and create
a new branch in svn. Once the critical bugs are fixed a release can be
rolled.

/Johan

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net>.
On Tuesday 03 February 2009 23:01:38 David Reiss wrote:
> Why do we need to assign priority to each language?  I think the
> de-facto point people have been:

Note that I said "officially". For example, I didn't know there was someone
responsible for the OCaml bindings. Why not make it official and have a
language-maintainer pairing list?

> Python: David Reiss (and several contributors)

And Ben Maurer. I'm tempted to appoint myself, but it's probably not very
polite.

BTW, I think it's important to give a priority to each language, because not
all of them have an extensive testsuite, have much activity in the mailing
list, etc. and we should strive to ship proven and stable code.

Cheers.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Chad Walters <Ch...@microsoft.com>.
I believe we have folks who care about C# as well.

C is one other language I'd love to see get into the top-tier, but I wouldn't hold up the release for this.

Chad

On 2/3/09 10:39 AM, "Kevin Clark" <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Carlos Valiente <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Personally, I care most about Ruby, C++, Java, Erlang.
>
> As user I would love to see Python and Perl in that list, as well.

Yup, those make sense as top tier languages (and we have committers
who watch them).

--
Kevin Clark
http://glu.ttono.us

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Kevin Clark <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Carlos Valiente <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
Why do we need to assign priority to each language?  I think the
de-facto point people have been:

C++: David Reiss, Mark Slee, Jake Luciani
Java: Bryan Duxbury, David Reiss
C#: Michael Greene, Will Palmeri (non-committers, for now)
Cocoa: Andrew McGeachie (non-committer)
Python: David Reiss (and several contributors)
Ruby: Kevin Clark, Kevin Ballard, Bryan Duxbury
Perl: Jake Luciani
PHP: David Reiss, Mark Slee
Erlang: Todd Lipcon, David Reiss
OCaml: Iain Proctor (non-committer)
Haskell: Iain Proctor (non-committer)
Smalltalk: Patrick Collison (non-committer)

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>.
The process described here works quite well for Hadoop:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease

People can assign improvements and new features to certain version, but
if they aren't resolved by the feature freeze date a comitter
responsible for the release will push the ticket to the next version in
line. The only tickets left for the version to be released at this point
should be bugs that need to be fixed before the release goes out.

How about a vote on the next feature freeze date?
I'd suggest 2nd of March. Thoughts?

/Johan

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Kevin Clark <ke...@gmail.com>.

--
Kevin Clark
http://glu.ttono.us

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <tl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Esteve Fernandez

> As for the top-tier languages, here's a list (in no particular order) of
> those
> that have been asked by someone, at least once, in this mailing list:
>
> - Ruby
> - C++
> - Java
> - Erlang
> - Python
> - Perl
> - C#

Don't forget PHP here - there are definitely several big users of the PHP
clients.

-Todd

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net>.
On Friday 06 February 2009 01:59:33 David Reiss wrote:
> Esteve Fernandez wrote:
> > Anyway, as Thrift's project lead, what do you think of having a release
> > plan/roadmap?
>
> I think it sounds great.

Good. So, when do we start? The next board report is due in April, I don't
think we can (or should) roll a new release by then, but at least it would be
nice if we have things in place and the release process is clearly defined.

As for the top-tier languages, here's a list (in no particular order) of those
that have been asked by someone, at least once, in this mailing list:

- Ruby
- C++
- Java
- Erlang
- Python
- Perl
- C#

I wouldn't include support for the others in the next release for these
reasons:

- if nobody expressed interest, it probably means that nobody is tracking
their progress and we won't be able to give responsive feedback
- there are no committers who can maintain them

We have a list of seven languages. However, I'm not sure about supporting C#
and Perl:

- there are no committers for C#. I'd nominate a couple of contributors, but
I'm not a PMC member, so I'll keep it to myself. Anyway, it's pretty clear
who's contributing to C# and adding them to the committer team would help
closing a bunch of months-old issues
- Perl lacks an extensive test suite. Also, adding another committer would be
nice.

These are my only concerns, but I'm sure they can be worked out before the
next board report and we'll be able to make C# and Perl first class languages
in Thrift.

Anyway, I think having a more formal process would be nice towards shipping a
new version, so I'll try to keep this thread alive.

Cheers.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
Esteve Fernandez wrote:
> Anyway, as Thrift's project lead, what do you think of having a release
> plan/roadmap?
I think it sounds great.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net>.
On Tuesday 03 February 2009 23:05:01 David Reiss wrote:
> > 1 - It's not particularly easy to maintain pending patches against trunk.
> > I'd rather contribute patches against a released version, not an ever
> > changing branch.
>
> I don't think this will change.  Patches submitted against the last
> released version will always have to be applied to the latest trunk in
> order to be merged.

Yes, but I don't think it's something that reporters/non-committers should do.
It's the duty of committers to see if a contributed patch fixes an issue,
apply it and port it to trunk.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Kevin Clark <ke...@gmail.com>.

--
Kevin Clark
http://glu.ttono.us

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Jérémie BORDIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I agree with everything said so far, it's definitively a good thing to
have a release objective fixed.

I do know quite well the C++ library, but i'm also at ease with Ruby,
Python and Java.

--
Jérémie

--
Jérémie 'ahFeel' BORDIER

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <tl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>.
How about asking for acccess to Hudson to make sure Thrift builds and
runs on supported platforms?

Setup correctly we should be able to have it build the compiler nightly
on a fresh ubuntu/freebsd/whatever install as well as run any unit tests
in at least a few languages.

Hudson is also pretty extensible so worst case we could create our own
plugin for it, but just getting the compile running would be a start.

No idea if Apache have licenses for VMware, but this might be worth a
look: http://hudson.gotdns.com/wiki/display/HUDSON/VMware+plugin

More info on Apache's Hudson setup: http://wiki.apache.org/general/Hudson

/Johan

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Andrew McGeachie <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 3, 2009, at 7:40 PM, David Reiss wrote:

> I think we should include pkg.m4 in the release tarball, which should
> solve that problem for people using the release.
>
> I'd say the supported platforms are:
>
> Compiler: Any POSIX system (including Cygwin and OSX), msys.
> C++ Library: Linux, Recent BSDs, Solaris 10 (might be some open
> patches on these), OSX?
> Cocoa Library: Any OSX?

The Cocoa library should run on OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and OS X 10.5
(Leopard).  I can't vouch or test for earlier versions though.

- a

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Jérémie BORDIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
The only issue i experience with building Thrift on OSX is the static
Makefile of the tutorial that need to be adapted to the right Boost
location.

Otherwise, it works like a charm.

Jérémie

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.
great

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net>.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.

)

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Dan Sully <da...@electricrain.com>.
Another +1 here.

I'd much prefer to be able to bring a specific known
good release into my environment for packaging.

-D
--
<dsully> please describe web 2.0 to me in 2 sentences or less.
<jwb> you make all the content. they keep all the revenue.

Re: Feature freeze date?

Posted by Erik Frey <er...@last.fm>.