Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Markus Elfring <Ma...@web.de> on 2003/08/03 22:54:35 UTC

Re: Improve mod_rewrite documentation

Thanks.

1. The description "http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/mod/mod_rewrite.html" is better formatted than "apacheref.com".

2. Has anybody requested a syntax that shows the ruleset processing directly?
I see that it would be easier to understand to specify RewriteConds after the pattern of RewriteRules.

3. I assume that the quoting of special characters is done with a backslash character. I do not know a "slosh".

4. I would like to see a section "related or recommended reading" at the bottom.
- URL Rewriting Guide
- more practical solutions, use cases
- books
- partner sites
- mailing list, forum, news

5. I am missing explanations about concurrent and parallel execution of RewriteRules between web server requests.
5.1 How much has a called script got to do with mutual exclusion or synchronization of the processing?
5.2 Is there a program available that provides a safe environment (e. g. waiting queues, mutexes)?
5.3 Can a script achieve to perform a function only once even if several request want it to be done simultanously because the result will be the same for all requests in a time period?

6. Would you like to show relations to design patterns?
6.1 Reactor
6.2 Dispatcher
6.3 Notifier
6.4 Acceptor-Connector