Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <We...@asu.edu> on 2002/10/11 20:00:11 UTC

Does every html form need an ActionForm?

I'm not really sure how to design this, so I'm just playing around.  And now
I've broken it.

What I need:
  ContactForm/contact.jsp has a text field, user types in a a name
  ResolveNameAction talks to the database, gets a list of names
  resolution.jsp presents the names-- as an html form w/ radio buttons &
submit button
  [Then I have to get back, but that's another thread.]

I started with ResolveNameAction forwarding to resolution.jsp which had a
normal html form tag:
<form action="/dev/editContact.do">

Then I thought, "Hey!  I'm using Struts!  This should be <html:form>!"
Which didn't work until I made a ResolutionForm to go with it.

And now I've got a problem since unless I make the form in resolution.jsp
have action="/resolveName", the form can't find its "form bean".  I don't
think I *need* a ResolutionForm bean.  This is not a form with validation,
it just needs to be there so the user can pick one [or none] of the names.

So is it verboten to have plain-old html forms in a Struts app?

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.