Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2004/07/28 22:25:02 UTC

[J2] VOTE: Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Julie thanks for the response.

I've been delayed on proceeding with committing my latest proposal (which I
forgot to cc to this list so here is the link:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=22&msgNo=16580).

Scott Weaver also wasn't too keen on using "commons" and suggested
"portlet.framework". But "bridges" is I think an even better alternative (sigh:
  I suppose I'm going to refactor my own changes for the third time).

Because of my own delay I now want to postpone committing my changes one more day.

Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the need please
give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the package naming, the rest can
be find in the mail history):

   [ ] org.apache.portals.bridges.
   [ ] org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
   [ ] org.apache.portals.commons.

Once I've committed my changes (temporarily) in the J2 repository I'd like to
know how to proceed for proposing a new Portals subproject (Commons, Bridges,
whatever).
I've found the instructions for creating a complete new ASF project but this
concerns just a subproject. As I understood from Raphael Luta this is up to the
PMC to decide.
Well, first of all, who *is* on the Portals PMC? I couldn't find it anywhere and
  that would be nice to know anyway.
Secondly, can someone who is member of the PMC enlighten me how to proceed?

Regards,

Ate Douma

Re: [J2] VOTE: Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Raphael Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
[Dropped the cc: to Jetspeed-dev, by now everyone interested should be
on general@portals :) ]

Ate Douma wrote:

> Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the
> need please give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the package
> naming, the rest can be find in the mail history):
>
>   [X] org.apache.portals.bridges.
>   [ ] org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
>   [ ] org.apache.portals.commons.

I agree that bridges is the better of the 3 propositions.

> Once I've committed my changes (temporarily) in the J2 repository I'd
> like to know how to proceed for proposing a new Portals subproject
> (Commons, Bridges, whatever).
> I've found the instructions for creating a complete new ASF project but
> this concerns just a subproject. As I understood from Raphael Luta this
> is up to the PMC to decide.
> Well, first of all, who *is* on the Portals PMC? I couldn't find it
> anywhere and  that would be nice to know anyway.
> Secondly, can someone who is member of the PMC enlighten me how to proceed?

That I know for sure:
- Santiago Gala (PMC Chair)
- David Taylor
- Carsten Ziegler

Beyond that, I guess most of the usual suspects are part of the PMC
(Scott, Paul, Jeremy, etc...). Note that if you wish to join the PMC you
need simply to ask and the current PMC members will consider the request.

To officialy request a decision on creating a sub-project, a mail like
this one on general@portals is in theory enough, although you may
want to cc pmc@portals.apache.org to make sure the PMC members are
paying attention.

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael@apache.org

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

David Sean Taylor wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2004, at 5:50 AM, Scott T. Weaver wrote:
>
>> Ate Douma wrote:
>>
>>> Julie thanks for the response.
>>>
>>> I've been delayed on proceeding with committing my latest proposal
>>> (which I forgot to cc to this list so here is the link:
>>> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=22&msgNo=16580).
>>>
>>> Scott Weaver also wasn't too keen on using "commons" and suggested
>>> "portlet.framework". But "bridges" is I think an even better
>>> alternative (sigh:  I suppose I'm going to refactor my own changes
>>> for the third time).
>>>
>>> Because of my own delay I now want to postpone committing my changes
>>> one more day.
>>>
>>> Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the
>>> need please give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the
>>> package naming, the rest can be find in the mail history):
>>>
>>>   [x] org.apache.portals.bridges.
>>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
>>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.commons.
>

> Sorry I've been on vacation, coming in a little late here (hopefully not
> too late)
> I've been writing about this concept a lot recently
That might be interesting. Something you are willing/allowed to share?

, and in my mind, it
> always seems like 'frameworks', although bridges sounds good too, it has
> a slight negative connotation as in 'bridging' from one thing to
> another, as opposed to frameworks being a foundation for building apps upon
>
> [x] org.apache.portals.frameworks
Never too late :-) although I've already started refactoring (again) going for
bridges now.
I understand your argument and agree to some degree with it. It depends on the
"framework" on which to build though I think.
Some of the mentioned "frameworks" (struts, jsf, spring) are proper frameworks
in their own respect. One using a "bridge" to these frameworks is more likely
using mainly those frameworks features, the "bridge" should probably be less
considered as such.
Which doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see "full" portlet frameworks hosted under
   Portals though :-) under "Commons" or even another subproject.

Considering the votes now given (bridges: 6, frameworks: 1) I will go for the
bridges proposal from Julie.

With regards,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jul 29, 2004, at 5:50 AM, Scott T. Weaver wrote:

> Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> Julie thanks for the response.
>>
>> I've been delayed on proceeding with committing my latest proposal
>> (which I forgot to cc to this list so here is the link:
>> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=22&msgNo=16580).
>>
>> Scott Weaver also wasn't too keen on using "commons" and suggested
>> "portlet.framework". But "bridges" is I think an even better
>> alternative (sigh:  I suppose I'm going to refactor my own changes
>> for the third time).
>>
>> Because of my own delay I now want to postpone committing my changes
>> one more day.
>>
>> Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the
>> need please give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the
>> package naming, the rest can be find in the mail history):
>>
>>   [x] org.apache.portals.bridges.
>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.portlet.framework.
>>   [ ] org.apache.portals.commons.

Sorry I've been on vacation, coming in a little late here (hopefully
not too late)
I've been writing about this concept a lot recently, and in my mind, it

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
Ate Douma wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Note: I simplified things by dropping the framework part but that
>>> might lead to confusion and/or conflicts (namespace) when the
>>> Commons subproject in the future would also supply complete portlet
>>> applications and other resources.
>>>
>>> I have already started refactoring the Struts Portlet framework
>>> (almost done) in anticipation of my original proposal accepted and
>>> can perform the above changes very quickly.
>>>
>>> But: I don't want to wait on the creation of a new Commons subproject.
>>> Would it be a problem to temporarily store these under a new
>>> portals-commons subfolder in the J2 repository (instead of my
>>> original proposed portlet-frameworks)? These then can easily be
>>> moved once the Commons subproject is ready.

>>> While I agree on the usefulness of the portlets I expect jetspeed 2
>>> (once it is released) will have an impact which will eclipse (pun

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <we...@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
* -------------------------------------- *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *

Re: [J2] VOTE: Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Gaurav Vaish <ga...@gmail.com>.
Ditto
+1 for bridges.

Gaurav

Posted by Julie MacNaught <jm...@apache.org>.

Ate Douma wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Note: I simplified things by dropping the framework part but that
>>> might lead to confusion and/or conflicts (namespace) when the
>>> Commons subproject in the future would also supply complete portlet
>>> applications and other resources.
>>>
>>> I have already started refactoring the Struts Portlet framework
>>> (almost done) in anticipation of my original proposal accepted and
>>> can perform the above changes very quickly.
>>>
>>> But: I don't want to wait on the creation of a new Commons subproject.
>>> Would it be a problem to temporarily store these under a new
>>> portals-commons subfolder in the J2 repository (instead of my
>>> original proposed portlet-frameworks)? These then can easily be
>>> moved once the Commons subproject is ready.

>>> While I agree on the usefulness of the portlets I expect jetspeed 2
>>> (once it is released) will have an impact which will eclipse (pun

Julie MacNaught
IBM Research
jmacna@apache.org
jmacna@us.ibm.com

Re: [J2] VOTE: Portlet Frameworks subproject proposal

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Ate Douma wrote:
> Lets recap on the different naming proposals and if anyone feels the
> need please give a vote on these below (I restrict this to the package
> naming, the rest can be find in the mail history):

    [x] org.apache.portals.bridges.
+1

Paul Spencer