Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nishantha Pradeep <ni...@bcsc.lk> on 2008/04/28 06:37:44 UTC

[users@httpd] connecting to another port via port 80

Hi all
I am running an apache server on my computer and I am also running chat
server on the same computer. The chat server's http-polling is at port 5280
. what I want to do is, I have  a web chat client and that client should
access the http-polling at chat server through port 80 because I think is it
not a better idea to provide permission to access port 5280 directly. I have
add following to my httpd.conf file but after restarting apache and when I
go to access the 5280, it says access denied. So please somebody just give
me some help to solve this problem.

name of my chat server-->nishantha-LSF
the webclient is at -->/var/www/xmpp/code
my document root /var/www
<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName nishantha-LSF
  DocumentRoot /var/www/
  <Directory /var/www/xmpp/code>
    Options  +Indexes +MultiViews
  </Directory>
  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteRule http-poll/ http://127.0.0.1:5280/http-poll/ [P]
</VirtualHost>

Regards

Nishantha

Re: [users@httpd] connecting to another port via port 80

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Nishantha Pradeep <ni...@bcsc.lk> wrote:
> Hi all
> I am running an apache server on my computer and I am also running chat
> server on the same computer. The chat server's http-polling is at port 5280
> . what I want to do is, I have  a web chat client and that client should
> access the http-polling at chat server through port 80 because I think is it
> not a better idea to provide permission to access port 5280 directly. I have
> add following to my httpd.conf file but after restarting apache and when I
> go to access the 5280, it says access denied. So please somebody just give
> me some help to solve this problem.
>
> name of my chat server-->nishantha-LSF
> the webclient is at -->/var/www/xmpp/code
> my document root /var/www
> <VirtualHost *>
>    ServerName nishantha-LSF
>   DocumentRoot /var/www/
>   <Directory /var/www/xmpp/code>
>     Options  +Indexes +MultiViews
>   </Directory>
>   AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>   RewriteEngine on
>   RewriteRule http-poll/ http://127.0.0.1:5280/http-poll/ [P]
>  </VirtualHost>

Instead of the RewriteRule (which doesn't seem at all correct), use
ProxyPass /http-poll/ http://127.0.0.1:5280/http-poll/
ProxyPassReverse /http-poll/ http://127.0.0.1:5280/http-poll/

See:
http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies