Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by sharat89 <ev...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/07 09:01:32 UTC

Indexing text files in Solr

Hey,

 I am new to solr and java. I am working on a project that involves the use
of both. I want to learn the complete process of indexing a text file using
solr. Also, I'd like to learn how to interpret the results.

i am looking for outputs like "number of occurrences of a particular word" .

Please keep in mind that I am a total newbie. So, instructions that require
sufficient knowledge of solr and java wont be of any help to me. In case
there is a forum for beginners in Solr, I'd be grateful if you could
redirect me to such a forum.

 I read somewhere that indexing text files is not a straight forward process
as it involves changing some entries in some key working files prior to
starting solr.

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Indexing text files in Solr

Posted by sharat89 <ev...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot! I have started with some basics now and things are already
beginning to make sense. If I do run into some hurdles, I ll be back!

Re: Indexing text files in Solr

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
You should probably start here:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_0_0/tutorial.html

For indexing and analysis, i.e. how the text is
transformed for indexing and searching (things like
stemming, lowercasing etc.) that's all configured
in schema.xml (you'll find that file in

...solr/example/solr/collection1/conf

Another key file in that directory is solrconfig.xml, which
defines how Solr does things like query parsing etc.

So those are places to start. I'd recommend working
through the tutorial and then coming back with specific
questions.

Also, the two Manning books "Solr in Action" and "Lucene in Action"
will give you a lot of background.

Best
Erick