Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by prasanna bhat <pr...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/14 17:10:40 UTC

Question on Ramp Up period

Hi,

Description of Ramp Up period in the user manual :
This property tells JMeter how long to delay between starting each user. For
example, if you enter a Ramp-Up Period of 5 seconds, JMeter will finish
starting all of your users by the end of the 5 seconds. So, if we have 5
users and a 5 second Ramp-Up Period, then the delay between starting users
would be 1 second (5 users / 5 seconds = 1 user per second). If you set the
value to 0, JMeter will immediately start all users.

Usecase description:
I have 5 users in the thread, a Ramp Up period set to 5 sec and  the
duration set to 300 sec in the Scheduler configuration. So for the first 5
seconds each thread is invoked with a delay of 1 sec, but is the same
behavior(next thread is delayed for 1 sec) exhibited for the next 300 secs
of test duration?

And also i was not clear as to how Ramp Up period is advantageous? and  when
to (and when not to) set this Ramp Up period?

Thanks,
Prasanna

Re: Question on Ramp Up period

Posted by prasanna bhat <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tinca and Deepak for a vivid explanation.

It's definitely worth to be a part of such active and talented forum where
people are so enthusiastic to answer any queries.

Cheers!!

Prasanna

Posted by TincaTibo <Ti...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the complement Deepak, I'm always to much thinking of 'simulating
real usage' test case and not enough that people may want to analyse special
cases.

I was doing these analysis mostly by my own scripts, but it's true that
JMeter provides an easy and fast toolbox to do it!

Rgds,
Tibo

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi