Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Debashis Tripathy <de...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/02 12:47:22 UTC

Xerces-C : Code Page Support

Hi,

We have a requirement in our project to add support for Non-UTF8 code pages.
This applies to a portiona of our project that deals with XML
Processing.Wemake use of Xerces-C
v2.7 to generate XML Files. My questions is,

1. What are the Non-UTF8 Code Pages that Xerces-C supports?
2. If  Xerces creates a XML File with a non-UTF8 code page, can my windows
code (the code base is unicode compliant) handle it? Or is there any other
restrictions on handling an XML created with non-UTF8 code page?

Thanks & Regards,
Debashis

Re: Xerces-C : Code Page Support

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Debashis,

At 17.17 02/02/2007 +0530, Debashis Tripathy wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We have a requirement in our project to add support for Non-UTF8 code pages.
>This applies to a portiona of our project that deals with XML
>Processing.Wemake use of Xerces-C
>v2.7 to generate XML Files. My questions is,
>
>1. What are the Non-UTF8 Code Pages that Xerces-C supports?

It depends on which Transcoder you compiled inside Xerces; for
instance, if you used ICU, the list of supported encodings is pretty
long; libiconv or the Win32 APIs give you a reasonable amount; in any
case, Xerces has built-in support for UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32,
windows-1252, IBM-1047, IBM-1140, EBCDIC, ASCII, iso-8859-1.

>2. If  Xerces creates a XML File with a non-UTF8 code page, can my windows
>code (the code base is unicode compliant) handle it? Or is there any other
>restrictions on handling an XML created with non-UTF8 code page?

It depends on your windows code: being Unicode compliant on Windows
can simply mean that it works on UCS-2 data.

Alberto