Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by jada <ji...@navy.mil> on 2007/09/02 04:19:54 UTC

Re: OutOfMemoryError

Here is some info of the system running JMeter:
Windows Server 2003
Physical RAM : 4GB (available RAM > 3GB)

I have made a very simple test plan to test with both JMeter 2.2 and 2.3RC3

Test Plan
|-- Thread Group ( Number of Threads: 3000, Ramp-Up Period: 1000, Loop
Count: 1 )
    |-- HTTP Cookie Manager
    |-- HTTP Request ( Server Name: www.apache.org, Method: GET, Path: / )
    |-- Summary Report

The limit I set in jmeter.bat without introducing OutOfMemoryError is as
follows:

set HEAP=-Xms1072m -Xmx1072m
set NEW=-XX:NewSize=384m -XX:MaxNewSize=384m

If I set the HEAP a few Meg higher, the JMeter console would display error
in less than 2 sec after the test starts.

Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create
new native thread
        at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:574)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.engine.StandardJMeterEngine.run(StandardJMeterEngine.java:400)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I wonder why JMeter has such a limit even though the available physical RAM
is plenty.

It will take less than 5 minutes to set up the test if you would like to
investigate further.

Please advise. Thanks.

Jada

Re: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Alf Høgemark <al...@i100.no>.
Hi
I did a search on Google in 5 minutes, it gives me the following useful
links

http://www.egilh.com/blog/archive/2006/06/09/2811.aspx
http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm/2005/3/11/NewNativeThread
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=605782&messageID=3360044
http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/java/infolibrary/prog_guide/configuration.html

So this is a Java / operating system issue.

Regards
Alf

Re: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Bj <bj...@gmail.com>.
On 32bit OS, jvm limitation is about 2Go. You have to keep at least 300-400
Mo free for the JVM internals. So 1.5Go to 1.7Go for the Heap should be the
max.
On a 64bit OS with a 64bit JVM, you won't have theses limitations.

--
Bj

Re: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by jada <co...@yahoo.com>.
Actually I just want to tune the JVM settings for JMeter. A simple test plan
is for illustration purpose only.

It's not the test results that I'm concerned. It's the OutOfMemoryError
message on the JMeter console that does not make sense when you increase the
HEAP size.

Now I understand it has a limit depending on the OS and JMeter
implementation may not have anything to do with it.

Thanks.

Re: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.