Posted to general@attic.apache.org by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl> on 2018/02/27 12:50:50 UTC

next project

Hi,

   the next time a project (say, GHOST) goes into the attic,
   please don't fix GHOST.apache.org ;
   perhaps it is not necessary anymore.

   I've talked to infra ; we would like try something like

     http://mirror-vm80.apache.org/sites/httpd

     [ for 'mirror-vm80' read 'attic'
     ; the box below the read message is an iframe
       pointing to httpd.apache.org
     ]

   More detailed ; if/when project GHOST retires,
   we simply add to the apache config of GHOST.apache.org :

     # Accept "__ATTIC__/*" ; redirect everything else
     RewriteRule "^__ATTIC__/(.*)$" "$1" [L]
     RewriteRule "^(.*)$" "http://attic.apache.org/sites/$1" [L]

   The iframe page for "GHOST.apache.org/$PATH"
   will contain "http://GHOST/__ATTIC__/$PATH".

   Groeten,

   HPP

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/

Re: next project

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <pe...@uu.nl>.
On Tue, 27 Feb 2018, jani@apache.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 13:57:36 +0100
> From: jani@apache.org
> To: general@attic.apache.org
> Subject: Re: next project

>>  the next time a project (say, GHOST) goes into the attic,
>>  please don't fix GHOST.apache.org ;

> Just to be sure, our procedure does not say anything about changing
> <project>.apache.org <http://apache.org/>, all we do on the <project>
> site is to insert a text, explaining that the project is moved to the
> Attic.

   That's what I meant with "fix GHOST.apache.org".

> I am not to sure, what should be changed in the procedure, and would
> be glad for a text that could be added.

   My request is to not touch GHOST.apache.org, while we
   establish what works best.

   Perhaps we can make GHOST.apache.org have a "RETIRED" header
   as soon as "attic.a.o/projects/GHOST.html" exists.

Posted by ja...@apache.org.

> On 27 Feb 2018, at 13:50, Henk P. Penning <pe...@uu.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>  the next time a project (say, GHOST) goes into the attic,
>  please don't fix GHOST.apache.org ;
>  perhaps it is not necessary anymore.
>
>  I've talked to infra ; we would like try something like
>
>    http://mirror-vm80.apache.org/sites/httpd
>
>    [ for 'mirror-vm80' read 'attic'
>    ; the box below the read message is an iframe
>      pointing to httpd.apache.org
>    ]
>
>  More detailed ; if/when project GHOST retires,
>  we simply add to the apache config of GHOST.apache.org :
>
>    # Accept "__ATTIC__/*" ; redirect everything else
>    RewriteRule "^__ATTIC__/(.*)$" "$1" [L]
>    RewriteRule "^(.*)$" "http://attic.apache.org/sites/$1" [L]
>
>  The iframe page for "GHOST.apache.org/$PATH"
>  will contain "http://GHOST/__ATTIC__/$PATH”.

Just to be sure, our procedure does not say anything about changing <project>.apache.org <http://apache.org/>, all we do on the <project> site is to insert a text, explaining that the project is moved to the Attic.

I am not to sure, what should be changed in the procedure, and would be glad for a text that could be added.

rgds
Jan I.