Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no> on 2003/10/10 11:51:37 UTC

How to change FOP hyphenation points?

Platform: DocBook XML 4.2,
	  DocBook XSL 1.62.4,
	  xsltproc 1.0.27,
	  fop 0.20.5

Is there a way to introduce soft line breaks into FOP formatting?
I'm using the DocBook XSL style sheets to create XSL:FO files from
DocBook XML documents, and feed the XSL:FO files through FOP to create
PDF files.

I have two URLs in table cells, that breaks in this manner:
  ht-
  ttp://somemachine/path/to/some-
  where

And that looks a bit silly.

I can't make the table columns wider, and I can't make the URLs
shorter, and I don't want to change the table.  It's a table that
lists PUT and GET URLs for different services.  Ie. like this:

 +------------------+----------+---------+
 |                  | GET URL  | PUT URL |
 +------------------+----------+---------+
 | Some desc.       |          |         |
 +------------------+----------+---------+
 | Some other desc. |          |         |
 +------------------+----------+---------+

Is there eg. a character I could insert that would tell FOP to break
at a particular point?  I tried using "&shy;" after "http://".

But the result was that the URLs were broken in the same way as before
in the PDF output, and a hyphen character was inserted where I had put
in "&shy;".  The numerical character reference inserted into the
XSL:FO, was "&xAD;".

I've looked at http://xml.apache.org/fop/hyphenation.html, but it
looked a bit complicated, for what I wanted to do.

I was looking for a way to find a file I could drop in the document's
directory, where I could put the URLs, with proper break points
inserted.

Thanx!

- Steinar