Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ofer Kalisky <ka...@hotmail.com> on 2009/10/21 20:14:49 UTC

Logging without logging to the root logger

Hi,

I have the following config:

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">

	<appender name="reportFileAppender"
class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">

		<!-- Keep one backup file -->

		</layout>
	</appender>

	<appender name="stdoutAppender" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">

		</layout>
	</appender>

	<logger name="db_report">
		<level value="info" />
		<appender-ref ref="reportFileAppender"/>
	</logger>

	<logger name="com.mycompany">
		<level value="info" />
	</logger>

	<root>
		<priority value="warn"/>
		<appender-ref ref="stdoutAppender"/>
	</root>

</log4j:configuration>

In the source I do:
private static Logger reportLogger = Logger.getLogger("db_report");

and in other classes I do:
private static Logger anyClassLogger =
Logger.getLogger(com.mycompany.MyClass.class);

I would like things logged to the db_report not to be logged in the
stdoutAppender, but I can't get them out of there, since the root logger has
it and it seems it catches all...

how can I log things to the report.log file without it being outputted to
the stdout as well?

thanks

RE: Logging without logging to the root logger

Posted by Matt Brown <Ma...@citrixOnline.com>.
Why don't you just move the appender-ref for stdoutAppender from the root level to the "my.company" logger?

AW: Logging without logging to the root logger

Posted by Bender Heri <hb...@ergonomics.ch>.
	<logger name="db_report" additivity="false">