Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by "Milles, Eric (TR Technology)" <er...@thomsonreuters.com> on 2021/09/27 15:42:48 UTC

Groovy 4 and the new integrated query module

Is there still time to reconsider the name of the new integrated query module (groovy-ginq) before Groovy 4 is released and the choice is locked in?  I ask for a couple of reasons:
                1) the "g" is redundant; groovy-ginq implies "groovy groovy integrated query".  When gcontracts was moved under apache, it was changed to "groovy-contracts", not "groovy-gcontracts".
                2) ginq is very close to an ethnic slur in american english.

I do realize that it was originally groovy-linq.  I asked at that time if that was a registered trademark of Microsoft.  I did not hear whether or not it was, just suddenly it was groovy-ginq without any further discussion.

So I propose groovy-ginq be renamed to one of the following:
groovy-query
groovy-linq
groovy-inq

Or my proposal to incorporate it into the groovy-sql module could be reconsidered.

This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments. Certain required legal entity disclosures can be accessed on our website: https://www.thomsonreuters.com/en/resources/disclosures.html

Re: Groovy 4 and the new integrated query module

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Just as a followup on this, in the release notes I have mentioned
gquery as an alternative shorthand for groovy integrated query. The
module name didn't change but if folks have a problem with ginq, they
can start using gquery when referring to the technology instead. If
that alternative name (which some folks weren't keen on but others
liked) sticks, we can make it more prominent in the doco.

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Yes, naming is hard.

We didn't go with linq with concerns about trademarks. We didn't go with
groovy-sql. That might be kind of confusing. We currently don't support SQL
- at least not in the way most people would expect in terms of the data you
can query on.

From memory, there was an informal discussion about naming on slack at the

Posted by OCsite <oc...@ocs.cz>.
MG,

> On 27 Sep 2021, at 20:36, MG <mg...@arscreat.com> wrote:
> I assume with slur you probably mean "chink" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chink <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chink>)?
I wondered too, myself :) Searching, aside of the above, I've also found that the perfectly nice and drinkable word “gin” might — my dictionary says — be interpreted also as an Aussie slur for an Abo woman (never ever heard of that). Which, I guess, only makes your precise observation
> ... in the end there will always be a small number of people who will construct something to be offended by out of anything
the more apt.

If anyone cares, I would completely ignore these absurd allusions.

All the best,
OC

Re: Groovy 4 and the new integrated query module

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
My input would be:

 1. I like the name "GINQ" = "Groovy Integrated Query", compared to
    "LINQ" = "Language Integrated Query", since LINQ has become
    synonymous with C#/.NET, and GINQ gives it fitting Groovy spin G-)
 2. My association with Ginq would be a Ginkgo tree
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba) :-)
     1. I assume with slur you probably mean "chink"
        (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chink) ? I would not associate
        "ginq" with that, but in the end there will always be a small
        number of people who will construct something to be offended by
        out of anything, and a small number of racist idiots, who will
        either just use "chink" directly, or find some "not-yet-banned"
        or "not-bannable-since-common-term"* way to insult someone. I
        think one should not let one's decisions be influenced by either
        of them :-)
 3. Having said that, there is already a PHP library called "Ginq":
    https://github.com/akanehara/ginq
 4. The question whether LINQ is indeed protected as a term by MS is
    imho also a valid one...
 5. The case of "gcontracts" vs "ginq" is not as clear cut as it seems,
    since
     1. "inq" on its own does imho not really work
     2. "ginq" forms a memorable word of its own for me, whereas
        "gcontracts" just prepends a "g" in front of the word "contracts"
 6. "groovy-query" would work, but to me it is quite generic/bland, and
    I would associate it with SQL queries only (.NET LINQ at least is
    not specific to SQL, and in fact you need to do a lot of
    transforming to get back to SQL from a LINQ AST expression, even
    though the input source might have looked a lot like SQL ;-) ).
 7. "groovy-q" might be a possible alternative(if we allow one-letter
    module names), since "Q" is of course a well known, powerful figure
    from the Star Trek universe
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Star_Trek)), hinting at the
    cleverness & power of the language :-)

Cheers,
mg

*See again "USA" = "United States of America", but also "Unser seliger
Adolf" ("our holy Adolf"), used by German/Austrian Nazis to refer to
their Führer.