Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David LAGARDERE <dl...@yahoo.fr> on 2002/09/06 10:15:21 UTC

Configuring HTTP Connector

Hello.
I've tried to configure a connector different
from ajp12 but evry time it didn't work.
I didn't find any documentation about this and
I would like to now what do I have to do with
workers.properties, uriworkermap and server.xml files.
I'm using IIS 5 + Tomcat 4.0.
Last question : what about the performances ? I've
heard that HTTP connector (especially Coyote) to
be much better than ajp one.

Thanks for your help in advance.

David LAGARDERE

Re: Configuring HTTP Connector

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, David LAGARDERE wrote:

> Hello.
> I've tried to configure a connector different
> from ajp12 but evry time it didn't work.
> I didn't find any documentation about this and
> I would like to now what do I have to do with
> workers.properties, uriworkermap and server.xml files.
> I'm using IIS 5 + Tomcat 4.0.
> Last question : what about the performances ? I've
> heard that HTTP connector (especially Coyote) to
> be much better than ajp one.

Tomcat's HttpConnector is for connecting directly to browsers
(i.e. when running Tomcat standalone), while AJP (the current version
is 1.3, so it's AJP13, i.e. Ajp13Connector) is for connecting to web
servers like Apache (i.e. when running Tomcat integrated with a web
server), so they are really not alternatives for one another.  Any
configuration of HttpConnector is specified in Tomcat's server.xml
file, in a Connector tag.

Now, the Coyote connector is new, and I believe it can be used both as
an HTTP connector and a AJP connector.  But I suspect not many people
here are familiar with it, and it may not yet be so well proven as to
be ready for production use.

And again, it doesn't really make sense to compare the performance of
an HTTP connector and an AJP connector, because they serve different
purposes.  Now, comparing performance of Tomcat standalone and Tomcat
integrated with a web server does make sense, but it is probably so
dependent on the particular stuff you're going to be doing, it's hard
to make general comments.  A lot depends on how much dynamic and
static content you have -- in general, Tomcat is good at dynamic
content, and Apache is good with static content -- so if you have
primarily dynamic content, that would suggest Tomcat standalone might
work well for you.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)