Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Karl Geppert <ka...@chemwatch.net> on 2007/10/15 07:07:08 UTC

Query in difference between documentation and compiler

|Okay - I'm back with one more hopefully simply answered query -
searching for sample code on the net and in the Manning book and in the
lucene.net source, the searching is of the form

file:///Incubating-Apache-Lucene.Net-2.0-004-11Mar07.bin/src/Lucene.Net/Overview.html

    // Now search the index:
    IndexSearcher isearcher = *new *IndexSearcher(directory);
    // Parse a simple query that searches for "text":
    Query query = QueryParser.parse("text", "fieldname", analyzer);
    Hits hits = isearcher.search(query);
    assertEquals(1, hits.length());
    // Iterate through the results:
    *for *(*int *i = 0; i < hits.length(); i++) {
      Document hitDoc = hits.doc(i);
      assertEquals("This is the text to be indexed.", hitDoc.get("fieldname"));
    }
    isearcher.close();
    directory.close();

Two other samples showing similar code;

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Search_with_in_documents.asp
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/DotLuceneSearch.asp

However, when I come to actually compile an example like this, I find
the interface is quite different.

Lucene.Net.QueryParser.parse(string Q) only takes a single argument - if
I try the above code I get

[C# Error] WinForm.cs(110): No overload for method 'Parse' takes '3'
arguments

e:\Users\karlg\ChemDist\Incubating-Apache-Lucene.Net-2.0-004-11Mar07.bin\src\Lucene.Net\bin\Release\Lucene.Net.dll:
(Location of symbol related to previous error)

Ditto - IndexSearcher.search takes 4 arguments (weight, filter, docs, sort);

Can someone explain why there is this apparent inconsistency and point
me at a piece of sample searching that uses this interface my compiler
is offering?  I am very confused in trying to make a sample search program.

Thanks for the patience.

Karl

around the clock, around the globe, visit http://www.hi-speed.net.au