Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org> on 2005/07/17 08:12:29 UTC

jars for deploy.ftp

I've just finished implementing a deploy.ftp target for Forrestbot. Since this
task requires addition of some new jars, I thought I should discuss it before
committing.

The deploy.ftp target needs the following 3 jars:
o commons-net
o ant-commons-net
o oro

The first is part of the Jakarta commons project
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/)

The second ships with Ant itself.

The third is also part of the Jakarta project
(http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/).

Since everything is under the Apache umbrella, I don't see any problems as far
as licensing is concerned. Utility wise I think the deploy.ftp target is
critical since most web hosting providers typically provide FTP as the
primary file management interface (very few actually provide SCP or shell).

The task is completely configurable, and also allows use of the "modified"
selector (http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTypes/selectors.html#modified) to
only choose modified files (based on a hash of the file content) for
uploading.

The total size of the 3 jars combined is 344K.

Comments?

Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net

Re: jars for deploy.ftp

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> Done. I've updated the forrestbot documentation as well.

Great, can we clone you ... a developer that updates
documentation as they go!

I just now published changes with our local forrestbot,
See etc/publishing_our_site.txt

-David

Re: jars for deploy.ftp

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@apache.org>.
On Sunday 17 July 2005 12:50 am, David Crossley wrote:
> Could that technique also be appplied to the other
> "deploy" targets?

Yes. Anything that uses a <fileset> can use the <modified> selector (which
means all tasks).

There's only one small catch -- if something bad happens during a deploy (say
the server goes down), then a subsequent deploy will not copy any files at
all since the cache would have been updated with the latest hash values.

There are 2 workarounds:

o make the use of modified selector a configurable item
o flush the cache of hash values so that its regerated

I tried to do the first option (using the <if> task), but couldn't get it to
work. So right now the modified selector is enabled by default. I guess its
easier to do the 2nd workaround.

Once I have a stable solution, I'll fix all the other deploy targets as well.

Re: jars for deploy.ftp

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.