Posted to users@solr.apache.org by "Saur, Alexandre (ELS-AMS)" <a....@elsevier.com> on 2021/10/06 13:00:07 UTC

Solr 8 autocommit confirmation

Hello there,

I have a quick question regarding Solr 8 autocommit feature. This is my configuration:

<autoCommit>
        <maxTime>600000</maxTime>
        <openSearcher>true</openSearcher>
</autoCommit>

<autoSoftCommit>
        <maxTime>${solr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime:-1}</maxTime>
</autoSoftCommit>

I can check this is true using the console. However, I cannot see any thread doing the autocommit in the logs, nor any metric that gives me the time the autocommit is being done.

Is there any way to know for sure the autocommit is working as expected in Solr 8?

PS: Solr 6 had an entry in the logs that confirmed it was being executed, you just need to grep for "commitScheduler"

Thanks,
Alex

________________________________

Elsevier B.V. Registered Office: Radarweg 29, 1043 NX Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Registration No. 33158992, Registered in The Netherlands.

Re: Solr 8 autocommit confirmation

Posted by Shankar R <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,
You can set the autocommit time limit to 5 seconds. From your client code,
index some content without issuing explicit commit. From admin UI if you
search for the content which u indexed recently you will be able to find
it. It shows that Solr is inssuing autocommit automatically after 5 seconds
and you will be able to search in admin UI because your opensearcher value
is set to true. If you set it to 'false' then even though solr has done
auto commit it will not be visible because solr has not opened a new
searcher and is showing you the content from the cached searcher / previous
searcher.
Hope it helps

Regards
Ravi

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
I was just looking at the commit details in the logs. This has changed in
8x somewhere along the way. Now there is very little INFO level logging for
commits. Currently there is only this:

2021-10-08 16:39:43.073 INFO  (qtp1080476785-21) [c:collection1 s:shard1
r:core_node2 x:collection1_shard1_replica_n1] o.a.s.u.CommitTracker Hard
AutoCommit: if uncommitted for 30000ms;
2021-10-08 16:39:43.073 INFO  (qtp1080476785-21) [c:collection1 s:shard1
r:core_node2 x:collection1_shard1_replica_n1] o.a.s.u.CommitTracker Soft
AutoCommit: if uncommitted for 15000ms;

New searcher registration is also still in the logs and looks like this:

2019-12-16 19:00:23.931 INFO  (searcherExecutor-66-thread-1) [   ]
o.a.s.c.SolrCore [production1_shard35_replica_n1] Registered new searcher
Searcher@16ef5fac[production_cv_month_201912_shard35_replica_n1] ...

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/6/21 7:00 AM, Saur, Alexandre (ELS-AMS) wrote:
> I have a quick question regarding Solr 8 autocommit feature. This is my configuration:
>
> <autoCommit>
>          <maxTime>600000</maxTime>
>          <openSearcher>true</openSearcher>
> </autoCommit>
>
> <autoSoftCommit>
>          <maxTime>${solr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime:-1}</maxTime>
> </autoSoftCommit>
>
> I can check this is true using the console. However, I cannot see any thread doing the autocommit in the logs, nor any metric that gives me the time the autocommit is being done.

The client (dovecot) that I have using my personal Solr server issues
commits itself, so I do not have any automatic commits in my log, and at
this time I do not use Solr at work.  I have no idea if Solr's logfile
has specific mention of automatic commits.  I would hope that it does.
I have done a full reindex several times and I do not see anything that
suggests an automatic commit ever fired.  I have 60000 for autoCommit
and 120000 for autoSoftCommit.

If you do a manual commit after every indexing batch, and the batch
takes less than 10 minutes (your autoCommit time) then autoCommit will
not actually do anything, and what I see in my own log suggests that
autoCommit and autoSoftCommit are smart enough to not even run if a
commit is done manually before they fire.

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes, and I might further
reduce the autoSoftCommit, depending on how long commits actually take:

<autoCommit>
         <maxTime>60000</maxTime>
         <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
</autoCommit>

<autoSoftCommit>
         <maxTime>300000</maxTime>
</autoSoftCommit>

Assuming you don't do manual commits in your indexing software, this autoCommit would ensure the transaction logs will have less data in them, which is a good thing, and the autoSoftCommit handles change visibility.  Of course, if your indexing software does its own commits and does them with enough frequency, then the automatic commits may  be essentially unused.

This article is valuable reading.  The title says "SolrCloud" but it is also applicable when NOT in cloud mode:

https://lucidworks.com/post/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr 8 autocommit confirmation

Posted by "Saur, Alexandre (ELS-AMS)" <a....@elsevier.com>.
Thanks for the tip, Sudhir!

I can now see that autocommits are happening, but there is no information on when it occurred (what time). Is there a way to know it?

Posted by sudhir kumar <go...@gmail.com>.
Hey Alex,